King’s Lynn Stars look ahead with the class of 2014
- Credit: Matthew Usher
King's Lynn Stars will begin the new season with almost exactly the same team that performed so heroically during the 2014 Elite League campaign.
Six of the riders who helped take Lynn to the play-offs will return to the Norfolk Arena next season.
The only exception is the second position at reserve, which has yet to be filled after the original agreement to sign Joe Jacobs failed to materialise.
The decision to retain most of last season's riders is perhaps no great surprise given that, had it not been for untimely injuries and some bad luck, they might well have been crowned champions.
The incentive to go one better will be there in the shape of the famous Saddlebow Road track, which celebrates its 50th anniversary next year.
Danish duo Niels-Kristian Iversen and Kenneth Bjerre will once again spearhead the Stars. Bjerre has signed up for his third year at the Norfolk Arena while Iversen returns for a fifth consecutive season and he says that his return was never in doubt.
The Stars number one said: 'I am delighted to be back racing at King's Lynn next season. I never really had any doubts about coming back. I feel at home with this club and I can't wait to get going again. Buster and Rob have put together a good team and hopefully we can make up for what slipped away in 2014 season.'
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 3 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 4 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 5 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 6 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 7 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed
- 8 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 9 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 10 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
Captain Rory Schlein, who will be celebrating his testimonial on March 15 next year, had set his sights at returning to the Stars in 2015. Schlein said: 'I am looking forward to coming back to King's Lynn. It is a great club and I really like the track.'
Making up the main body of the 2015 team is ever-improving Dane Nicklas Porsing and local talent Robert Lambert, with Lewis Kerr at reserve.