King’s Lynn seniors win Barnard Trophy for third year running
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn have won the county seniors team competition for the Barnard Trophy for a record third successive year.
They beat RAF Marham by four holes in an exciting final at Swaffham Golf Club.
Despite rain falling for most of the day, the course and the golf were worthy of the final, with the result in doubt right until the end.
The format, with four pairs representing each club playing foursomes, delivered some golf of the highest quality.
Game number one saw Lynn take a six-hole lead before the second game reversed some of the deficit, with Marham winning by two.
You may also want to watch:
The third game went to Marham by a six-hole margin and suddenly the match was on. Match number four eventually went in favour of Lynn by six holes to seal the title.
Lynn's winning team was Kwai Li, Richard Jessop, Arthur Vanderloo, Maurice Lawlor, Blair Rule, Mike Wilson, David Lawman and Paul Arnold.
- 1 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
The beaten finalists were Phil Jones, Nick Howes, Kevin Wymer, Terry Carver, Ian Palfrey, Eric Savage, Graham Stickland and Doug Jefferson.
King's Lynn will also be featuring in the Cullington Cup final, against Eaton, while Costessey Park and Wensum Valley will compete for the Myhill Trophy. Both matches will take place at Richmond Park.
The annual junior matchplay competition for the Bass Trophy saw a more experienced Barnham Broom team beat Costessey Park 4-0 in a sporting contest where three of the matches reached the 17th hole.
Barnham Broom were represented by Tom Piper, Ben Terry, Harry Bradfield, Ellie Brown while Freddie Coady, Jack Woodhouse, Sean Rafferty and Charlie Green played for Costessey Park.
Bank Holiday Monday saw the annual adult/junior greensome competitions at Dereham Golf Club.
The 18-hole Alec Porter Shield saw 12 pairs playing, with the winners being Caroline Cuddihy and Joe Crane with a fantastic 42 points. The nine-hole Bob Lees Trophy, for juniors without a CONGU handicap, was won by Brad and Vinnie Rix with 27 points.