King’s Lynn Town 2 Basingstoke Town 1: Dramatic fightback from the Linnets

Cameron King scored a dramatic late winner for King's Lynn Town. Picture: Ian Burt

Cameron King scored a dramatic late winner for King's Lynn Town. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

King's Lynn Town produced a grandstand finish at The Walks last night to keep the pressure firmly on leaders Hereford.

The Linnets are now just one point adrift of the title favourites, having now played two more games, after scoring twice in the final 10 minutes to turn what looked like being a defeat into a thrilling win.

The hosts had the better of the opening 30 minutes, with Ryan Hawkins firing across goal from 25 yards, but the game only really came to life in the closing stages of the half.

Substitute Sam Deadfield gave Basingstoke the lead on 36 minutes when he fired home from inside the box after Lynn where guilty of not clearing their lines from a corner.

But Lynn could easily have been one up and playing against 10 men by then.

You may also want to watch:

Minutes earlier Simon Lappin had seen his free-kick come back off the bar while

Linnets' manager Ian Culverhouse was furious after visiting skipper Charlie Kennedy was only shown a yellow card for a poor challenge on Cameron Norman.

Most Read

After the break Craig Parker had an effort blocked before Ryan Fryatt wasted an excellent chance, heading Lappin's superb cross from the right wide of the target when well placed.

Lynn finally got the goal they deserved when a shot took a big deflection off defender Guri Demuria to level the game and won it at the death when substitute Cameron King forced the ball home after a scramble.

Lynn: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracy, Fryatt, Ward, Lappin (King 73), Clunan, Parker, Hilliard, Mettam (Siddons 60), Hawkins (Gash 77). Subs not used: Frary, Jarvis.

In the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League Great Yarmouth Town won 1-0 at Newmarket thanks to a second half goal from Mitch Forbes. The match between Fakenham and leaders Felixstowe and Walton was abandoned after just nine minutes due to a serious ankle injury to home player Kegan Charlesworth, who was making his debut.

Kirkley & Pakefield missed out on a place in the final of the Suffolk Premier Cup when they were beaten 3-1 by Leiston. The Royals made a good start, with Kyle Haylock give them the lead, but higher ranked Leiston went in at the break 2-1 ahead and added a third after it.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter