Joy for Wroxham and Yarmouth

Wroxham rose one place to second after beating Newmarket 2-1 at home.

They were helped by the top two teams gaining one point apiece from their games – leaders Leiston drawing 3-3 at Brantham and Dereham sharing two goals with hosts Walsham-le-Willows.

Wroxham scored the goal their play deserved with good work on the left by Damian Hilton whose ball into the box was met by Danny Bloomfield who poked a shot at goal, only for the ball to fall kindly into the path of Jamie Atkins, who slotted the ball home from six yards.

The equaliser came with Stephen Bell lashing home a great strike. Wroxham had to hit back quickly and did exactly that after Gilmore's fine ball out to the wing and Gav Lemmon was on hand to put the Yachtsmen back in front again.

Game of the day in the Premier Division was at Great Yarmouth, who beat Wisbech, six places higher in the table, 2-1 after an almighty tussle, with Scott Woodcock netting a brace.

Yarmouth manager Paul Tong said: 'Wisbech were quality and created a number of chances but we dug in and rode our luck. Sometimes you deserve it.'

When the sides met a few weeks ago Wisbech won with a last-gasp goal, but it was roles reversed this time.

Most Read

'It was our day today,' said Tong. 'I am very pleased for for everybody concerned with the club.

'I am full of praise for the players – they are young, they are learning what a tough league it is.

'They keep surprising me at the moment. We were dead and buried at half-time but they keep raising their game in the second half.'

Tong picked out a key reason for Yarmouth's win. 'Jake Jessup in goal was unbelievable for a boy of 17, he just had one of those days. Today belonged to him – I'm sure it will be a game he will remember for a long time. And he deserves to because at half-time he'd injured his knuckle and it was touch and go that he could continue, but he rode the storm. He must have made five or six quality saves, one exceptional one.'

Wisbech dominated the first half and led at half-time through a 24th- minute goal from Ashley Stevens, a simple far-post finish from a cross.

Yarmouth made a tactical change to try and create more chances.

Tong said: 'Wisbech battered us at times, but we dug in and defended stoutly. Jake Reed took on three defenders and got brought down in the box and Scott Woodcock tucked away the penalty. Then we rode our luck, Jake made some quality saves and it was backs to the wall.

'With 15 minutes to go Scott Woodcock cut cross the defender and chipped the goalkeeper from 20 yards to score the winner and get three valuable points.'

It was 1-1 at Walsham-le-Willows for Matt Henman's Dereham Town, who dropped to third as a result.

'We conceded a goal against the run of play,' said Henman. 'They broke and scored after half an hour. Then we continud to pressure, hit the bar and they had one sent off just before half-time for a two-footed tackle.

'Second half we were on top and Gary Starling scored direct from a free-kick after 65 minutes. Everyone put in a great deal of effort but coudn't find the winner. I can't fault the players. It was a hard-fought away draw on a difficult pitch.'

Norwich United secured a fourth straight victory as David Cory's goal early in the second half was enough to beat a spirited CRC side, enabling the Planters to move up to sixth.

It was a game of few chances in the wet conditions. Three minutes after the interval Justin Fox intercepted an unusually poor ball out of defence and played a lovely ball through for Cory to take into the area and slot under the advancing keeper.

The only other game played saw Woodbridge beat visitors Ely 1-0.

All the other games were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter