Josh Files finishes season with a flourish thanks to podium in final race of TCR International Series
- Credit: Archant
Josh Files rounded off a hugely successful season by standing on the podium in the final race of the TCR International Series at the Dubai Autodrome.
Double TCR champion Files, from Porlingland, was called up by the M1RA race team to support them in securing the Team Championship as well as assisting lead driver Attila Tassin in his quest for the driver's title.
However, his Honda Civic wouldn't run correctly in qualifying, despite the best efforts of the team to cure the issue, leaving Files to complete a last minute dash which was only good enough to allow him to start both races from 15th on the grid.
Files made one of his trademark fabulous starts and climbed up to seventh place by the end of the opening lap of race one protecting Tassin's position, who was just ahead of him.
The pair moved up to fifth and sixth place on the seventh lap but with Tassin unable to make up any further places his championship title tilt was lost but the team title was wrapped up.
You may also want to watch:
Files, having played the support role to perfection in race one, was let off the leash in race two and had progressed to sixth by the third corner and took fifth before the opening lap had been completed.
Fourth place was secured when the leading driver was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start but Belgium racer Denis Dupont was proving difficult to get by.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 3 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 10 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
However, the local racer persisted and eventually found a way past which secured third place and Files' first TCR International podium place.
'That was a tough weekend,' remarked the Honda Civic racer. 'I'm very happy to have supported M1RA and Attila (Tassin) in their quest for the Drivers and Teams' Championship.
'Unfortunately, it wasn't quite Attila's moment but the team are the champions in their first season of TCR International, and I'm very happy to have helped deliver the title.
'The races were absolutely brilliant for me. I made two great starts, and the best of the car and the situations I had.
'Race two was a real highlight, to come from 15th on the grid after a difficult day on Friday and fight all the way to third, and my first TCR International podium was an incredible feeling.
'I just hope I will be in the International series next year to deliver the same results, but this time fight for the championship myself.'