Jorgensen leads from front as King’s Lynn Stars claim point at Belle Vue
- Credit: Ian Burt
Thomas Jorgensen helped to inspire King's Lynn's fightback for a point in a 48-43 defeat at Belle Vue – even if he didn't realise it at the time.
Jorgensen weighed in with nine-paid-10 during a rain-affected clash at the National Speedway Stadium in which the Stars trailed by 12 points halfway through the programmed rides.
Things looked bleak with just one chequered flag out of seven but guest number one Danny King, Jorgensen and Kai Huckenbeck led the resistance.
The visitors still trailed by nine with three heats to go but went into the nominated race with a chance of victory.
King saw off the persistent Kenneth Bjerre with Thomas H Jonasson filing in for third in heat 13 and Huckenbeck then led an action-packed penultimate race that saw home rider Dan Bewley fall, recover and even challenge for points before hitting the deck again in the final lap.
You may also want to watch:
Nicklas Porsing traded places with Cameron Heeps on several occasions before claiming second in what was the away side's second 5-1 of the night.
With the result in the balance, Aces number one Bjerre jetted away to a third win out of five and although Stars briefly filled the minor places, Jorgensen had to get back past Steve Worrall for a second spot that pocketed an important point towards King's Lynn's pursuit of the play-offs.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
'I didn't really know what the score was all through the meeting, we were focusing on the conditions because it was really wet,' said Jorgensen.
'It was raining more or less all night but I was told we had a chance of winning or a point when I was sent out for heat 15. Until then I had just tried to get on with my riding.
'I was happy with my performance, there was just that one heat where I touched the tapes but the rest was spot on. I made some really good starts and had some good speed.
'It was hard out there. In heat 15 I had to take off my goggles, I had already gone through all my tear offs. It was not clever but I needed to see, especially when we were chasing those two points.'
Belle Vue: Kenneth Bjerre 13+1, Steve Worrall 10+1, Craig Cook 9, Dan Bewley 7+2, Cameron Heeps 7, Jack Smith 2+1, Max Fricke R/R.
King's Lynn: Thomas Jorgensen 9+1, Kai Huckenbeck 8, Danny King 7, Nicklas Porsing 6+2, Thomas H Jonasson 6, Josh Auty 5, Michael Palm Toft 2.