Legend John Lund set to make his stock cars return at King’s Lynn
- Credit: Archant
F1 stock cars legend John Lund will make his first appearance for nearly two years at the Adrian Flux Arena this Saturday (5.30pm).
The 64-year-old, known as 'Sir John' amongst fans of the sport, last raced at Coventry in November 2016 but will make his return in King's Lynn at the weekend.
The eight-time F1 Stock Car world champion is certain to appear in front of packed out terraces.
Most of the drivers he will be competing against in this very physically demanding form of motorsport are between a third and a half of his age and in a sport racing dynasties are established through generations, Lund has raced against (and beaten) many of the current crop of driver's fathers and even grandfathers.
The meeting is a National Points Shootout round for both the F1 and F2 Stock Cars.
You may also want to watch:
Stuart Smith, the favourite for the F1 title, and Gordon Moodie, who is favourite for the F2 title, have both powered themselves to the top of the pile for their respective formulas and at this stage of the competition have built useful looking leads.
Their rivals really need to step up the plate in Saturday and ensure they start to eat into the leads held by each driver if they are to have a chance of winning the points title this year.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 7 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
- 8 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 9 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 10 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
The good news for Norfolk fans is that Norwich's Matt Newson is enjoying his best ever National Points Shootout campaign in the F1 Stock Cars and is currently Smith's nearest rival.
With the terraces on Saturday expected to be swelled with many local fans eager to glimpse Lund on track, Newson will be hoping these will act as a ninth cylinder on his V8 Chevrolet as he aims to take big strides to winning what would be the biggest title ever secured by an East Anglian Stock Car Driver.