Joe Gatting rounds off Swardeston win with six sixes in one over
- Credit: PA
Joe Gatting achieved every batsman's dream yesterday when he scored six sixes in one over for his new club Swardeston.
The former Sussex and Hampshire star, who joined Swardeston as professional at the start of the season, produced his superb display of big hitting at The Common against Cambridgeshire Ramsey in the National Club Championship competition.
And he saved his best for last, with 36 being scored off the final over to take the hosts up to an impressive 346-8.
Gatting, who also played professional football for Brighton and Hove Albion, finished on an unbeaten 160 which featured a total of eight sixes in all, as well as 17 fours, and spanned 95 balls.
Jeremy Elliott was the next highest Swardeston scorer with 38 while openers Peter Lambert (25) and Freddie Ruffell (32) also made useful contributions, as did Stephen Gray (26). In reply Ramsey were never in the hunt and were dismissed for 126 on the 25th over, with Swardeston winning by 220 runs.
Elliott (3-24) and Matt Taylor (3-15) were the stars with the ball, while Michael Eccles, Tom Oxley, Freddie Ruffell and George Walker all took one wicket apiece.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 5 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 6 Boss 'gutted' after scenes cut from Ed Balls' Who Do You Think You Are?
- 7 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
- 9 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 10 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk