Ipswich YM 48, West Norfolk 8
West Norfolk were well beaten by Eastern Counties League leaders Ipswich YM on Saturday.
West went on the attack in the testing conditions with some penetrating runs around the fringes from the likes of Ryan Walker and Craig Blackmuir.
This gave the visitors a chance to break, with flanker Christian May making a slicing run, before off-loading to prop Lawrence Savage, who powered through a couple of tacklers to give West an early 5-0 lead.
West were looking good as they were holding their own in the loose and threatening to strike with some excellent tactical kicking under pressure from Ed Maule. Full-back Ross Biggs and wingers Jake Richardson and Kyle Hinds were close to breaking free at this point, but the Ipswich defence held tight.
However, Ipswich were able to turn over the ball and counter break to score two quick tries to take a 12-5 lead. Just as half-time approached they broke again to go in 17-5 up.
You may also want to watch:
West started brightly after the break and camped in the Ipswich half for most of the third quarter. Ollie Denton was able to close the gap with a penalty kick.
But the Ipswich forwards were able to power their way up the pitch for another score. Under the building pressure West's defence began to fail them and with the bitter weather taking its toll, Ipswich were able to seal a 48-8 victory.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 4 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today