Ipswich YM 48, West Norfolk 8
West Norfolk were well beaten by Eastern Counties League leaders Ipswich YM on Saturday.
West went on the attack in the testing conditions with some penetrating runs around the fringes from the likes of Ryan Walker and Craig Blackmuir.
This gave the visitors a chance to break, with flanker Christian May making a slicing run, before off-loading to prop Lawrence Savage, who powered through a couple of tacklers to give West an early 5-0 lead.
West were looking good as they were holding their own in the loose and threatening to strike with some excellent tactical kicking under pressure from Ed Maule. Full-back Ross Biggs and wingers Jake Richardson and Kyle Hinds were close to breaking free at this point, but the Ipswich defence held tight.
However, Ipswich were able to turn over the ball and counter break to score two quick tries to take a 12-5 lead. Just as half-time approached they broke again to go in 17-5 up.
You may also want to watch:
West started brightly after the break and camped in the Ipswich half for most of the third quarter. Ollie Denton was able to close the gap with a penalty kick.
But the Ipswich forwards were able to power their way up the pitch for another score. Under the building pressure West's defence began to fail them and with the bitter weather taking its toll, Ipswich were able to seal a 48-8 victory.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 6 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 7 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 8 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 9 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns