Ipswich Town 0, Lowestoft Town 1

Lowestoft Town's Michael Frew volleys the winner against Ipswich Town.

Lowestoft Town's Michael Frew volleys the winner against Ipswich Town. - Credit: Archant

A quality strike from Michael Frew sent holders Lowestoft Town through to the final of the John Banks Suffolk Premier Cup at the expense of Ipswich Town last night.

Frew's dipping 81st-minute volley was enough to separate the sides at Kirkley & Pakefield's Walmer Road ground and set up a final against either Bury Town or Leiston at Portman Road.

In a game of few chances – a youthful Town side failed to seriously test Andrew Plummer in the Lowestoft goal throughout the 90 minutes – the Ryman Leaguers always looked the more likely winners.

The goal came out of nothing as Curtley Williams, a half-time substitute at right-back, knocked a perfectly-weighted ball over the top of the Town defence and centre forward Frew got goal side and struck a dipping volley beyond Michael Crowe and into the far corner.

Ipswich, who passed the ball well but lacked any penetration in attack, were unable to muster a reply and so failed to take advantage of being handed a reprieve in the competition.

Ipswich were reinstated following their 2-1 defeat in the quarter-final at Felixstowe & Walton United, who fielded an ineligible player.

It was Lowestoft who created the best two chances of the first-half, both inside the opening ten minutes.

Most Read

In the seventh minute Joe Francis held off Kyle Hammond and struck a low, first-time, left-foot shot across the face of goal.

Three minutes later left-back Stuart Ainsley's long diagonal ball forward picked out Josh Dawkin and the winger's first-time cross shot was beaten away by Michael Crowe.

There was a moment of worry for title chasing Lowestoft when Francis limped off after 40 minutes to be replaced by Lee Smith.

In the second half Dawkin dragged a shot just wide and Robert Eagle's rising drive was held by Crowe just before Frew's winner.

Craig Fleming, Lowestoft's director of football, said afterwards: 'It's fantastic for us. It gives the boys a cup final at Portman Road to look forward to at the end of the season.'

• Ipswich Town: M Crowe, K Hammond, J Leddy, G Thorsteinsson, O Sowunmi, M Clarke, C Burke (T Winter, 70), J Carson, J Marriott (C Galvin, 87), B Lawrence, M Timlin.

• Lowestoft Town: A Plummer, B Saker (C Williams, 46), S Ainsley, D Gleeson (E Okay, 80), S Mitchell, S Gaughran, J Dawkin, A Fisk, M Frew, R Eagle, J Francis (L Smith, 42).

• Referee: Mr Carl Fitch (Ipswich).