Inspirational Norfolk people have chance to carry Olympic flame at the Paralympics
The final call for inspirational people to carry the Paralympic Flame has begun with the launch of Sainsbury's public nomination campaign.
Plans for the Paralympic Torch Relay programme were announced in September 2011.
The last of the three campaigns run by the Paralympic Torch Relay Presenting Partners, the process will give people across the UK an opportunity to nominate a team or individual from their local community who they feel has inspired them.
Successful nominees will work in teams of five to carry the Paralympic Flame during an overnight Torch Relay from Stoke Mandeville to the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympic Games on September 29.
The campaign, which will run until February 14, is looking for people who display the Paralympic Values of courage, determination, inspiration and equality to push the boundaries of what is achievable.
You may also want to watch:
Nominations can be made in Sainsbury's stores across the UK or online at a nomination website from today (Wednesday).
London 2012 Organising Committee chair Seb Coe said: 'All around the UK there are teams or individuals that embody the Paralympic Values and make a difference to the lives of others.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
'The Sainsbury's nomination programme is the final opportunity to put people forward, so if there is a team or individual that you feel deserves recognition for their contribution, then I would encourage you to nominate them.'
Lloyds TSB ran its campaign from October to November, during which it received thousands of nominations.
BT launched its nomination campaign in December and has received more than 500 nominations so far, with the campaign running January 20.
The London 2012 Paralympic Torch Relay programme will begin on 24 August, with the first Flame lighting event to be held in London.
The Greater Belfast area, Edinburgh and Cardiff will each then host a Flame lighting moment and an evening Flame Festival. Following this, a ceremony uniting all four flames to create the Paralympic Flame will be held in Stoke Mandeville, the spiritual home of the Paralympic Movement, before its journey to London begins.