In-form Wroxham progress in FA Cup after putting Great Yarmouth Town to the sword
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Wroxham had to come from behind before defeating Great Yarmouth in a pulsating FA Cup derby.
Mitch Forbes gave the Thurlow Nunn First Division side the lead on 26 minutes with a near-post header before Danny White equalised on 36 minutes. The Yachtsmen scored three times in the second half through Jack Garrod, Christy Finch and Jordan Attree though to set up an away tie at Mildenhall Town in the first qualifying round in two weeks time.
Yarmouth, who play two levels below Wroxham, had already eliminated higher-level opposition so went into the match believing they could cause another upset. They went close four times before their good period told and goal-machine Forbes nodded the visitors in front.
As the half continued both sides had their chances but the hosts got back on level terms on 36 minutes with an excellent finish by White. Latching on to a good through ball he tucked it past Taureen Malloy in the Yarmouth goal. Wroxham deserved to be level but there continued to be efforts on goal at both ends.
The second period started in similar style to the first. But on 52 minutes Wroxham took the lead. A free0kick to the back post was nodded across goal and there was Garrod to put it away.
You may also want to watch:
The result hung in the balance but two late goals won it for the Yachtsmen and made for a harsh scoreline.On 88 minutes, Finch found the net with a fine solo effort. And in time-added-on, Attree bagged his first senior goal for the club following up a rebound after good work by David Hinton.
Wroxham: Price, Self (Lewis, 78), Rust, Hinton, Howell, Halliday, Garrod (Attree, 89), White, Forshaw (Sanders, 85), Finch, Gordon.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
Yarmouth: Malloy, Clements, Bailey, Deeks (Barrett ), Palmer (Bryanton), Anderson, Woodcock, Oldham, Forbes, Turner (Andreskeivious), Thompson. Subs not used: Marsden, Butler.
Ref: D Stobbart.