Horning duo sparkle to take trophy

A force three to four, gusting five south-westerly, made for a cracking day's sailing at Beccles ASC as the club hosted the annual and highly coveted inter-club NSBA Ramuz Trophy, this year sailed in Enterprises, for the first time.

Competition organiser Mollie Howes divided the 12 entries of clubs from around the Broads region into two heats of six, with the final set for the afternoon.

Race one had Sally and James Dugdale of Snowflakes away first pursued by BASC commodore Richard Deller but after hitting the windward mark, young sailors Simon Barker and Ian Richardson of NBYC slipped past into second place.

Team Dugdale defended their position well but were eventually caught by the determined Wroxham lads. Beccles's Deller and Saskia Baylis got back into the race after their earlier mistake and also passed the Snowflake crew before the finish to secure their place in the final.

In the second race brothers Ian and Mike Timms of Norwich Frostbites got away first, followed by Horning sailors Chris Bunn and Nick Spanton, who soon overtook to make it to the windward mark first. North West Norfolk helm Ian Bradley got level for second but eventually Ian and Mike Timms broke free to chase Bunn and Spanton down to the deep basin buoy. Jane Pye and Chris Tuckett of Hickling passed the North West Norfolk sailors and started to threaten the Frostbites team for second position in round one. In the second round Bunn and Spanton secure first with Pye and Tuckett and team Timms taking second and third respectively.

After lunch the final race got under way with the officials making the six finalists work for it with four long rounds.

BASC's Commodore get chuffed up into the bank, leaving the way clear for Bunn and Spanton to break free. Timms brothers Ian and Mike pressed on to maintain second place but after the first round all boats started to spread out, with just Barker and Richardson of NBYC and Pye and Tuckett of Hickling supplying close racing.

Most Read

Bunn and Spanton, by the last round, were well in front and fully deserved the finishing bell, with Ian and Mike Timms some way behind taking second place.

Wroxham's Barker and Richardson managed to fend of the Hickling team for the last half round to secure third place.