Holt cruise to their ninth straight win

East London 12, Holt 42: Holt made their longest away trip of the season to a ground not far removed from the new Olympic Stadium and came away with their ninth straight win.

The game began with both sides sizing each other up, but eventually Holt began to show their running skills, with Jarry-Ryan showing his pace and going close. Eventually the pressure paid of when Young kicked a penalty after 10 minutes. Straight from the re-start, Wright initiated a move which went through several pairs of hands and finished with Robson scoring an unconverted try.

Holt were putting themselves firmly into the driving seat and after 19 minutes Graham Isley finished off a move started by Woods and with Young adding the conversion, the lead had increased to 15-0.

Following a run by Jarry-Ryan, where he was close to scoring, Holt then won possession in an ensuing line-out and from the driving maul, Matthew Girling scored an unconverted try.

Holt scored again eight minutes later, when Ilsley scored his second try and although it was unconverted, Holt had achieved a bonus point and were leading comfortably 25-0 with half-time approaching. Their concentration then seemed to waver, allowing the East London flanker to run through some slack tackling to score an unconverted try.

East London started the second half where they left off before the break by testing Holt's defence to the full and it took quite a while before the stranglehold was broken. Finally Ben Girling scored a try to ease the nerves of the watching Holt supporters and with Allen adding the conversion, the lead was increased to 32-5.

Five minutes later East London's perseverance was rewarded,when they scored a converted try in the corner. Holt responded immediately when they gained a penalty and Allen was equal to the occasion by adding three more points to the score line.

Most Read

Again the home side battered away at Holt's defence to no avail and more salt was rubbed into their wounds, when with two minutes remaining; Wright scored from a five metre scrum and with Allen, again on target with the conversion, the score now read 12-42 in the visitors' favour.

Holt did have another opportunity in the dying moments of the game from a break away, but the defence got back quickly to snuff out the chance.

With final whistle going, Holt could be well pleased with their performance against lively opponents who never wilted in spite of the score line against them.

Holt's still head the league by four points from Harlow, who are keeping up the pressure on them. The next league game is at home against Wanstead on the December 3 but before that there is the small matter of Saturday's Woodfordes Norfolk Senior Cup tie at North Walsham which has all the ingredients for an enthralling contest.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter