Hethersett: Football, swimming and talent set to be on show at Open Weekend
Plans are well advanced for this year's Hethersett Open Weekend which will be held over the weekend of June 22-24.
The Open Weekend, being organised by the Hethersett Olympic Committee, will be following on from the success of the village's Olympic Weekends held over the past two years.
This year's events will precede the visit of the official London 2012 Olympic flame to the village early morning on July 5.
The Open Weekend events will start on Friday, June 22, with a 24-hour swimming marathon and the evening finals of the third Hethersett's Got Talent competition.
The swimming marathon will run from 8am in Hethersett Junior School's pool.
You may also want to watch:
The event will be in memory of and a celebration of the life of Hethersett Junior School teaching assistant, Lorraine Hedges, who died last year.
The event will also raise funds for the Big C cancer charity. The marathon will be divided into 48 half-hour slots and will include school children and other volunteers.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 4 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 5 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 6 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 7 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 8 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 9 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 10 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
Auditions for the final of Hethersett's Got Talent will take place at Woodside Infant and Nursery School on May 20.
The finals evening will showcase a variety of acts of all ages and a guest slot from last year's winner David Wyatt.
Saturday, June 23, will see more than 20 Olympic-themed sports featured in a come and try day on Hethersett Memorial Playing Field.
Sunday, June 24, will bring a whole host of events including an inter-denominational church service organised by Hethersett and District Churches Together in Hethersett Social Club, a ladies five-a-side football tournament on the Memorial Playing Field and a possible finale on the field.
Once again one of the highlights of the weekend will be the two mile Run The Square fun run over a two-mile course.
Throughout the weekend a flower festival will take place in Hethersett Parish Church and events will also include a brass band concert on the Saturday and Songs of Praise in St Remigius on the Sunday.
Have you got a story for Local Life? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com