Hethersett cruise through in FA Cup
Hethersett Ladies coasted into the third qualifying round of the Women's FA Cup and also made a small slice of footballing history.
They became the first ladies' team to play on Chelmsford City's ground and the setting proved to be to their liking as they beat Chelmsford Ladies 7-0 with some sparkling football that belied their lowly Eastern Region Premier Division position.
Grace Birchall scored a hat-trick, Emma Mulley hit two and Rosie Rutherford and Lauren Bailey were also on target as Hethersett turned on the skill, speed and power to demolish their Essex opponents.
Victory in the third qualifying round on November 13th would put them into the first round proper of the premier national women's cup competition. The draw for the next round has still to be made.
'We've made a little piece of history and winning in the style we did has put Hethersett a little more on the ladies' football map. It's also the furthest the club has ever been in the FA Cup and now we are just one win away from the first round proper,' said team manager/coach Chris Bolderstone.
You may also want to watch:
It was also a good day for the Hethersett Ladies Hearts team as they beat Aylsham 5-1 in the Norfolk League.
Hannah Waters hit four to become only the sixth player in the club's history to complete 150 league and cup goals. Hethersett's other scorer was Lisa Ferdani.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk