Harleston Magpies win 13-0 to close gap on leaders
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies went goal crazy to move to within three points of the Premier A summit.
They hammered visitors Spalding 13-0 to take advantage of leaders St Albans' first defeat.
Matt Richardson powered home the opener and it wasn't long before the lead was doubled with a Sam Patterson drag-flick. Patterson soon scored his second and by the break it was 5-0 after Archie Winter had scored twice.
Simon Hipwell added his name to the scoresheet in the second half and Patterson completed his hat-trick to make it seven. Harleston refused to take their foot of the gas and Dave Gilbert soon added two more while Jake Sewell and Jack Hobbs also managed doubles to round off a fantastic display.
Norwich City kept in touch with the pacesetters in Premier B after recording a hard-fought 2-1 home win over bottom team Cambridge University II.
You may also want to watch:
Josh Bailey diverted home the opener, with the ball trickling over the line, before Cambridge's first attack resulted in a penalty corner which was converted.
The hosts continued to dominate and, with 10 minutes left, Chris Wardale deflected home a pinpoint ball from Tom Cooke to settle it.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 7 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
- 8 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 9 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 10 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
In the same section Dereham were made to pay for missed chances as they were beaten 3-1 at home by Wapping II. Will Edwards' excellent strike reduced the arrears after the hosts had gone 2-0 down early in the second half and opportunities then came and went before Wapping wrapped it up with a third.
Magpies II continue to set the pace in Division 2NE. They made it seven victories on the spin by winning 3-2 at Bury St Edmunds while it's six out seven for Pelicans after a 2-1 success at Magpies III.
Norwich City II are fourth following their 4-3 success at City of Peterborough III (Mark Fletcher 2, Pete Morgan, Tom Hindle) while Norwich Dragons are just behind them after recording the same scoreline against St Ives (Rohan Kaushal, Ollie King, Rupert Snelling, Henry Laming).
Norwich City III moved up to second in Division 3NE courtesy of an excellent 8-1 win over Ipswich and East Suffolk III.