Harleston Magpies into last four after lightning start
Harleston Magpies 4, Deeside Ramblers: Harleston welcomed Deeside Ramblers after their long journey to Weybread for the quarter final of the Mixed Trophy competition.
Harleston started the game on fire and they took the lead after one minute when Simon Hipwell fed Tom Graham in the circle. The youngster weaved his magic and after an excellent advantage from the umpire he slotted the ball home past the advancing keeper.
Harleston did not let up and doubled their lead on four minutes when a well worked short corner fell to Andrew Bedwell who fired the ball home to continue his excellent scoring run in the mixed competition. Just three minutes later Tom Graham grabbed his second of the match after being allowed to wobble through the defence before dispatching a devastating finish.
Harleston were now completely in control of the game but to their credit Deeside fought back. The away team started to move the ball around quickly and always looked dangerous on the counter attack. Deeside did manage to pull a goal back before when the break when Leigh Sitch misjudged an aerial, allowing Deeside to run the base-line. An excellent ball across goal eluded Andrew Bedwell leaving Deeside with a simple tap in.
Harleston were able to limit Deeside's attack with excellent pressing up front from Sam Moore, Sarah Brook, Lizzie Clymer, Sarah Legg, Tom Graham and Lucy Whiting resulting in the score remaining 3-1 at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides continued the second half in the same manner, Deeside looking to hit Harleston with the aerial and Harleston looking to pass the ball around creating chances. Neither side were able to create a clear-cut opportunity with a lot of possession lost by both sides in midfield. Harleston finally got the breakthrough they deserved after good running up front from Sarah Legg and Lizzie Clymer allowed Simon Hipwell to win a penalty stroke. Richard Larkin sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with his eyes before slotting the ball powerfully into the opposite corner.
Harleston were able to see out the rest of the game with solid defending from Katrina Warnes, Andrew Bedwell, Leigh Sitch, Frances Taylor and Katherine Ridley not allowing the Deeside forwards a sniff at goal.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 8 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 9 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit