Harleston Magpies claim East Indoor title for second year running
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies claimed the East Indoor title for the second year running at St Albans at the weekend.
The squad were missing target man Chris Barber, who is still recovering from injury, and Sam Rowe, but were able to welcome James Meek and Carl Sitch.
In their first match Harleston beat hosts St Albans 5-3 before Old Loughtonians – who had been 3-1 up early on – were despatched 6-5. In their third game Harleston beat West Herts 10-4 which meant they only had to draw with City of Peterborough in their final fixture to win the title again.
Peterborough pressed high up the pitch which created space in the middle for Harleston to find their midfield and forward players easily. This allowed Harleston to take charge with Andrew Bedwell creating goals for Simon Hipwell and Carl Sitch. Bedwell soon added his name to the score sheet with a back post deflection. Peterborough however pulled two goals back before Harleston found a fourth through Toby Price. Peterborough pulled a goal back to leave the half-time score at 4-3. Harleston again started the second half well and Leigh Sitch combined with Hipwell for the latter to score a quick double and put Harleston out of sight. More goals were added via James Meek and Carl Sitch before Leigh Sitch scored the ninth goal from a well worked short corner drag flick from the edge of the circle. Peterborough did pull two goals back before Hipwell finished off the scoring at 10-5. The results meant that Harleston maintained the East Championship crown and they can now look forward to their National League tournaments in January.
Squad: Matt Collinge, Leigh Sitch, Tristan Baynes, Andrew Bedwell, Simon Hipwell, James Meek, Carl Sitch, Mark Wheelhouse, Richard Larkin, Toby Price.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards