Harleston Magpies beaten as Richardson-Walsh stars
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies Ladies were beaten 3-0 at a strong Cambridge City side in their third East Conference fixture of the season.
With an ever increasing injury list and school fixtures making some of the younger players unavailable, Magpies called up Laura Tibbenham and Olivia Locke to make their National League debuts.
As the first-half progressed Cambridge's Olympic gold medallist Helen Richardson-Walsh began to take control of midfield and the hosts went in front on 15 minutes following after a fine move down the left.
For the remainder of the first half Cambridge continued to control the game without really putting Magpies' keeper Charlotte Peet under too much pressure.
The visitors won a number of short corners at the start of the second half and a Lucy Whiting effort struck the woodwork.
You may also want to watch:
But Cambridge rode the storm making it 2-0 following a quick free-hit and completing a deserved win when Richardson-Walsh converted a penalty flick.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 5 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 6 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 7 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 8 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 9 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 10 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school