Harleston green gym plans approved
Harleston is set to get a recreation boost this Olympic year after town councillors approved plans for a green gym.
Redenhall with Harleston Town Council voted at a meeting on Wednesday to install the outdoor exercise equipment, which will come mostly from Section 106 developer contributions.
Town clerk Margot Harbour said the green gym on Harleston recreation ground could be used by all ages.
'It will be used by youngsters and we are talking to some of the groups that work with adults with learning difficulties who feel intimidated going to the gym, but would use this area. The older generation may also have a go and people who do not come into a gym environment,' she said.
The facility would be paid for by �6,490 from the town council, �2,000 from South Norfolk Council and �23,692 of Section 106 monies.
You may also want to watch:
The exact details of the green gym and the type of equipment that will be installed has yet to be agreed.
Council chairman Roger Plant added: 'This year is the perfect year with the Olympics and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee to give the community more sports.'
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 8 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
The news comes after �40,000 worth of new play equipment was officially opened at the recreation ground in August 2010, which was also funded by cash from developer contributions.
The area includes a climbing frame, bucket swings, outdoor gym equipment, seesaw, and 'tornado swing.'