Greens stunned by Wroxham comeback

Gorleston 2, Wroxham 3: Danny Self is more used to picking up yellow cards than goals for Wroxham – but on Saturday his dramatic injury time winner from 30-yards capped a brilliant comeback from 2-0 down to snatch all three points from Gorleston in a pulsating encounter to go four points clear at the top of the Premier Division.

The former Norwich City youngster sparked an unlikely win scrabbling home from close range with just eight minutes to go before substitute Ross Durrant levelled the scores at 2-2 with a blistering long range drive in the 90th minute.

'I was fortunate enough to get good contact on it and was just happy for the boys to see it fly in as we all worked so hard in the second-half to get back into it,' said Self of his match winning strike.

'For my first goal it just dropped to me in the box and I was in the right place at the right time, It's not often I score two not even in training. I think they call two goals, no bookings and three points a good day at the office,' added Self.

Gorleston can count themselves unlucky after totalling dominating the first-half and deservedly went in at the break two goals to the good.

Chris Sandford took advantage of static Wroxham defending to open the scoring in the 22nd minute finishing well from Mitch Forbes' deft flick.

Front-man Ali McKenna then doubled the hosts' advantage with a classy lob over Scott Howie as Wroxham struggled to get to grips with The Greens.

Most Read

Devastated Gorleston boss Richard Daniels said: 'We feel mugged but that's football for you. 'There are plenty of positives for us to take out of this performance as we made one of the best teams in this division look very ordinary. I have the utmost respect for David Batch as he made his changes at half-time and they paid off and that's full credit to him and his players.'

• While the Yachtsmen were winning in dramatic fashion Dereham Town continued to falter, following their shock 4-0 home defeat against Woodbridge last week by losing 3-0 at Stanway to allow Brantham to overtake them into second place following a 2-2 home draw with Ely City.

The Magpies cause wasn't helped by three suspensions but Nathan Howard missed a chance before Stanway took a fifth-minute early lead with a weak shot by Luke Coleman. Two more chances went begging before Coleman beat Shaun Marshall with a superb 30 yard drive to make it 2-0.

Stanway virtually sealed the game in the 47th minute when Marshall failed to punch clear Daniel Slatter's corner from the right enabling Mark Gaisford to net from close range.

• Wisbech Town are the Premier Division form team with their seventh consectuive win – by an emphatic 4-1 scoreline at Woodbridge – extending their unbeaten run to ten games and lifting them to fourth in the table.

Chris Bacon put the Fenmen in front late in the first half and, immediately after the interval Liam Nimmo poached the second after Callum Reed's shot had been parried out.

Reed got the second himself with a blistering 20-yarder before the home side pulled one back. A goalkeeping mistake then gifted Nimmo his second to wrap up a victory which delighted manager Steve Appleby.

'Woodbridge are a young side with great potential who have been doing well,' said Appleby.

'But we were relentless. We just had too much pace and power for them and once we'd got on top of them I always felt that we'd go on to win.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter