Great Yarmouth Town 0, Haverhill Rovers 3
Late goals in each half, one in the first and two in the second, extended the Bloaters' losing record and edged the club closer to relegation.
Jack Wilkinson slotted the ball home with 41 minutes on the clock, with Stuart Kingham and Craig Calver putting away strikes late in the second half that completed the victory for the visitors.
The result leaves Yarmouth with 21 points to find from nine remaining games of the season if they wanted to avoid the drop.
Yarmouth looked to start the game with the same level of performance that almost earned them a draw at home to Wisbech seven days earlier, Lewis Popham was close to capitalising on a loose ball after two minutes but he fired his shot wide of the post.
But throughout the opening minutes Haverhill were allowed to push their midfield runners forward unchallenged, creating numerous problems for the hosts' defence to deal with. Joe Harvey and Craig Calver both missed the target within the first five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Haverhill persisted, with their first shot on target coming after seven minutes. Jack Wilkinson powering a shot from a short free kick that Cudden turned round the post. After nine minutes Haverhill ventured forward again, this time Wilkinson providing the cross that Jack Higgs fired at the Bloaters' keeper.
The onslaught continued, only temporarily broken by a free kick that was easily cleared just shy of the quarter-hour mark.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
But for poor finishing from the visitors and excellent shot stopping from Cudden, Haverhill could have been out of sight by the midway point of the first half. The keeper's abilities were tested on 25 minutes as Jamie Challis burst forward and drove a shot goal wards after collecting a loose ball, his celebrations cut short by a diving low shot from the Bloaters' man between the sticks.
Yarmouth needed a change in the momentum of the game. It looked to arrive after 28 minutes when good work from Popham sent Vide away on the right, but he spurned the chance by shooting at the visiting goalkeeper from the edge of the box.
The hosts came forward again three minutes later, this time Callum Jones' shot charged down by the visitors' defence. From it Haverhill broke, resulting in Challis finding Wilkinson in space in the box, the striker blasting his shot against the bottom of the post.
Both teams looked to be heading into the half time break with the game scoreless when Sam Howles set up Harvey for an easy-looking tap in from no more than six yards out that was spurned.
But Wilkinson broke the deadlock with four minutes of the half remaining, the striker slotting away after Challis threaded a through ball to the Haverhill striker.
The momentum of the first half continued after the interval with Calver and Strong both creating chances within two minutes of the restart.
But substitute Fernandes could have levelled things with an hour gone against the run of play. Haverhill lost possession deep in Yarmouth's half and from it the hosts broke. A miss hit from Jones following Popham's cutback from the by-line allowed the new signing an unchallenged shot on an empty goal but the striker couldn't ripple the net, losing his footing at the vital moment.
Haverhill were soon back on the attack looking for their second. Wilkinson and substitute Harry Halls both missed the target.
And it came with 15 minutes of the game remaining, a corner was flicked onto Stuart Kingham six yards out, the defenders on the line helpless as they diverted Kingham's goal bound volley into the roof of the net.
By now any other result than a home defeat looked improbable, but a late flurry forward coinciding with Barnden being restored to central midfield offered Yarmouth hope of a consolation. After good interchange of passes from McAra, Barnden found Bartley who forced a good low save from visiting keeper Marcus Hunt.
But no player in the yellow and black strips could get their name on the score sheet. Instead Haverhill got the third goal to wrap up the win, Calver firing home with a low shot after good work on their right.
• Great Yarmouth Town: Ben Cudden, Liam Williams, Philip Watkins, Callum Jones, Sam Giacomelli, Leighton Crux (Liam Bartley, 46), Lewis Popham (Jordan Forbes, 75), George Barnden, Marian Jobbagy (Diego Fernandes, 56), Charlie McAra, Fernando Vide. Unused Subs: Simeon Lee, Lee Hackleton.
• Haverhill Rovers: Marcus Hunt, Paul Abbott, Greg Strong, Stuart Wardley, Stuart Kingham, Jamie Challis, Jack Higgs (Harry Halls, 56), Joe Harvey (Louis Harper, 74), Craig Calver, Sam Howles, Jack Wilkinson. Unused Subs: None
• Goals: Wilkinson (41), Kingham (76), Calver (87)
• Attendance: 73