Great Yarmouth beach rugby proves a hit
Budding Jonny Wilkinsons and Martin Johnsons took to Great Yarmouth seafront on Saturday to take part in the town's third beach rugby competition.
Seventeen mixed teams from Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire competed against each other on four pitches on central beach in the tag rugby contest.
The team were made up of ten players with five being on the pitch at any one time as hundreds of spectators cheered on the sides throughout the day.
The youngest competitor was six while the oldest were veteran club players in their 50s.
Saturday's display of ball handling skills and tackle avoiding runs was organised to promote rugby to people who have never played the sport before.
You may also want to watch:
A snap shot survey of the teams showed that 30pc of members were novices or had only played a few games before.
Asa Morrison, organiser and chairman of Broadland Great Yarmouth Rugby Club, said: 'I am really pleased with how it went.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 8 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
'We had youngsters playing with their mums, dads, uncles and friends along with some veterans.
'Some of them had never picked up a rugby ball before and I was very impressed with the skills they showed.'
The overall winners of the beach rugby competition were the Skegness Sharks who won the cup.
The Billy Whizzers, a team from Yarmouth, won the plate, the West Bog Trotters from King's Lynn won the shield and a team from Swaffham won the bowl.