Great Yarmouth beach rugby proves a hit
Budding Jonny Wilkinsons and Martin Johnsons took to Great Yarmouth seafront on Saturday to take part in the town's third beach rugby competition.
Seventeen mixed teams from Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire competed against each other on four pitches on central beach in the tag rugby contest.
The team were made up of ten players with five being on the pitch at any one time as hundreds of spectators cheered on the sides throughout the day.
The youngest competitor was six while the oldest were veteran club players in their 50s.
Saturday's display of ball handling skills and tackle avoiding runs was organised to promote rugby to people who have never played the sport before.
You may also want to watch:
A snap shot survey of the teams showed that 30pc of members were novices or had only played a few games before.
Asa Morrison, organiser and chairman of Broadland Great Yarmouth Rugby Club, said: 'I am really pleased with how it went.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
'We had youngsters playing with their mums, dads, uncles and friends along with some veterans.
'Some of them had never picked up a rugby ball before and I was very impressed with the skills they showed.'
The overall winners of the beach rugby competition were the Skegness Sharks who won the cup.
The Billy Whizzers, a team from Yarmouth, won the plate, the West Bog Trotters from King's Lynn won the shield and a team from Swaffham won the bowl.