Great Scott strikes again

Another stunning strike from Scott Mitchell set Lowestoft Town on their way to their second victory of the festive season on Saturday.

Mitchell had scored a late winner in the Boxing Day victory over Bury and he was on target again at Crown Meadow as the Blues remained level on points with leaders Billericay, who beat Harrow Borough 3-0.

With Erkan Okay injured on Monday, Mitchell had moved to the right-back position, with Dale Cockrill returning to the starting line-up in midfield.

Lowestoft took control of the game from the start and it took just eight minutes for them to move ahead. A Lubo Guentchev corner was only partially cleared by Tony Burke and the ball was collected by Mitchell 30 yards from goal. He sent a thunderbolt screaming past keeper Bobby Smith into the net to put the hosts ahead.

The rampant Trawlerboys kept Wingate penned into their own half and looked to have increased their lead as Adam Smith's free-kick eluded everyone, but rebounded off the inside of the post into the grateful hands of Smith.

Guentchev then tried his luck from 20 yards but the ball flashed inches wide of the target.

Lowestoft's passing and movement were causing the visitors all sorts of problems and a flowing move saw the ball moved quickly from Jamie Forshaw to Chris Henderson and on to Guentchev whose goalbound effort was saved by Smith.

Most Read

A second goal always looked on the cards, with the only surprise being that it did not arrive until the 56th minute. Mitchell started a flowing move by finding Michael Frew, who played a return pass for the overlapping full-back. His cross found Henderson, who played the ball back to Guentchev to fire home from the edge of the area.

A third goal looked likely as Frew's defence splitting pass released Guentchev, but the keeper raced from his goal to save bravely at the striker's feet.

Adam Smith's floated free-kick reached Frew at the far post but although his looping header beat the keeper, the ball curled just wide of the post.

Wingate had offered little in attack and even the introduction of their leading scorer Leon Smith did not liven them up, although the striker did force Andy Reynolds into his only routine save of the match. However, the game ended as it had started with the Blues on the attack, with Mitchell taking a return pass from Guentchev to force Smith into another fine save.

Lowestoft are in action again today when they face a tough trip to AFC Hornchurch, currently third in the table (3pm kick-off).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter