Great East Run proving popular with fewer than 500 places left
- Credit: Andy Abbott
The Simplyhealth Great East Run is close to reaching capacity with fewer than 500 places remaining, with the event six months away.
Entries to the half marathon event, which takes place on Sunday September 16 in Ipswich, have once again been in huge demand.
Organisers announced in January they were increasing the event's entry limit to 3,500 following the hugely successful inaugural year in 2017.
Entries for this year's event have only been open for three months and 90pc of places have now been filled.
The Simplyhealth Great East Run replaced the successful Ipswich Half Marathon in 2017 and is staged in partnership with Suffolk County Council, Ipswich Borough Council and Ipswich JAFFA Running Club.
You may also want to watch:
Philippa Morrow, from The Great Run Company, said: 'Thousands of runners and spectators soaked up the electric atmosphere that made the event so memorable last year and we're delighted to have received an even bigger demand for entries in 2018.
'If you want to experience a running event in Suffolk like no other, we'd encourage you to sign up now to avoid disappointment as places are extremely limited.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 5 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 6 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 10 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
Runners start on Russell Road, before heading towards the waterfront and out towards Freston, passing under the Orwell Bridge, where spectator support was extremely popular last year. The finish line is at Ipswich Town's Portman Road complex.
Last year, runners raised approximately £1m for good causes both across the region and UK-wide.
The event also contributed to boosting the local economy by more than £4.5m in 2017 as part of Suffolk County Council's Most Active County Programme.
You can enter at Greatrun.org/East