Good sport this weekend
SEA FISHING: In the north of the region sport was hampered by a stiff northwesterly wind.
This put a lovely looking surf on the sea though I don't think we'll reap the real benefits until we get towards the weekend and some of the weed comes out of it.
There have been school bass caught by those braving the rough conditions though most reported weed also.
Conditions were slightly easier round the corner and several reports of mixed bags of sole, whiting and smoothound pups from Yarmouth down to Lowestoft. The south pier has continued to give small fish sport for most anglers trying, again catches of sole, whiting and smoothound pups have dominated.
The beaches south of Lowestoft are producing a few sole and whiting too but it's the rivers that are proving most consistent.
You may also want to watch:
Match weights of eels over 3lb are not uncommon and I'm sure pleasure anglers could improve those by fishing in the dark or the whole period between tide runs. The humble eel isn't everybody's cup of tea, though in my experience eels over 12oz are reasonable sport and they don't make a mess of your hook lengths as much as bootlaces do and they can be relied upon to pull your string when little else is feeding. We've got a low sitting in the North Sea all this week that will drag northerly air down the coast and keep the surf going from the shingle round to Yarmouth, there should be a few bass and flounders feeding in it.
Below Yarmouth to Lowestoft and the sea should be flatter and hopefully the surf will spread some colour here too, if it's flat I would think there'll be more sole and smoothound pups from the usual haunts.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 5 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 10 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups