Golf: Norfolk Seniors go down fighting in league
Norfolk Seniors opened their East Anglian Senior League campaign with matches against Northamptonshire and Suffolk and were competitive in both, despite suffering two defeats.
The first match was away to Northamptonshire at a well presented Peterborough Milton Course.
As a prelude to the match a nine hole greensomes competition was played which resulted in wins for Tony Lount/Doug Gilchrist, Harvey Scott/Simon Fuller and a half for Mark Ramsey/Bernie Peet.
The league match was 18 holes singles with all the holes played out and after a very close match Northamptonshire won by just two holes. Northamptonshire had eight players from the host club playing so this was a good effort from the Norfolk team.
There were good wins from Doug Gilchrist (5 up), Tony Lount (4 up) and Simon Fuller (4 up) with Terry Norman and Harvey Scott also winning.
You may also want to watch:
Team: Mark Ramsey (Hunstanton), Terry Norman (Gt Yarmouth & Caister), Doug Gilchrist (Weston Park), Alan Hewison (Richmond Park),Harvey Scott (King's Lynn), Graham Turner (Mundesley), Tony Lount (capt, Sheringham), Malcolm Carr, Roger Pointen (Sheringham), Richard Rouse, Simon Fuller (Royal Cromer), Bernie Peet (Royal Cromer).
The second match against Suffolk was played at Brancaster on a beautiful sunny day and, as ever, the Royal West Norfolk course was in great shape.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 7 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 8 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
After some very competitive matches Suffolk won by nine holes. There was a great performance from Harvey Scott who won his match 9 up and good wins from Doug Gilchrist and Terry Norman.
The players are enjoying the new league and format and it is hoped that other counties will join the league in the future.
Team: Bob Carrick (Hunstanton), Alan Hewison, Terry Norman, Doug Gilchrist, Harvey Scott, Graham Turner, Tony Lount, Malcolm Carr, Roger Pointen, Geoff Paton (Sheringham), John Doe (Royal Cromer), Bernie Peet.
• If you have a golf story please contact email@example.com