Gloucester 0, King's Lynn 2

Early-morning fog had cleared from the city stadium at Meadow Park to give a brilliant sunny afternoon with conditions ideal for football.

Southern League Premier Division: Gloucester 0, King's Lynn 2

Early-morning fog had cleared from the city stadium at Meadow Park to give a brilliant sunny afternoon with conditions ideal for football. The Linnets had new loan signing Paul Crichton in goal instead of the injured Marshall. Greg Crane, who in midweek had signed and 18-month contract, held his place at the centre of defence with Grant Cooper back after suspension taking a place on the bench. Another absentee was Andrew Cave-Brown who was away with the Scottish Under 19 squad at a training camp in Malaga. Matt O'Halloran was not to be risked at the start due to his suspect hamstring injury but also took a place on the bench. Longer term injury Sam McMann began his comeback when he was due to have a run-out this afternoon for the reserves at the Walks against Lowestoft.

Gloucester's Mustoe had an early shooting chance for the Tigers after the ball came out to him following a clearance from a free kick. His strong drive was only just wide as debutant Paul Crichton desperately tried to cover the shot. Reide and Nolan needed the trainer's attention after an early clash as referee Amphlett restarted with a dropped ball. Gloucester were making most of the early running but Crane and Warren were coping well at the heart of the Lynn defence. Lynn's first goal attempt came from a Toms header after West had supplied the cross. Goalkeeper Johnston easily held his effort. Gloucester's Thompson was cautioned for a foul on Nolan but the subsequent free kick from Toms caused no danger. Crane then found Frew with a good diagonal pass but the striker's finishing effort was tame. For Lynn Frew, Nolan and Melton combined well to put pressure on the home goal. But the danger was cleared as Linnet's former ex-Tiger effort was blocked. On 20 minutes Toms was cautioned for a foul on Reide. Lynn were coming more into the game and Fisk made a good run from midfield to force a corner from which a planned routine came to nought. A good Lynn passing move ended with West's cross being put behind for a corner from Tom's flag kick the Linnets caused confusion in the home defence as Nolan's flick was saved by Johnston only for a cheeky back-heel from Frew to find the net with the Gloucester defence in disarray. This was after 26 minutes. Thompson fouled Frew as he broke clear when put away by Camm and from the free kick taken by Toms Frew's flick cleared the crossbar. The home crowd made loud appeals for a penalty for hands by Crane but referee Amphlett would have none of it and waved play on. For Lynn, Toms fed Frew but he played his pass behind the onrushing Fisk and the chance was gone. A late spell of Gloucester pressure produced a corner from which Welsh fired high over the bar. Cox then had a good run for the Tigers till stopped by a great tackle for Fisk at the expense of a fruitless corner. As the half ended Sykes had a shot for the home side which was deflected for a further corner which was cleared to give a half time scoreline of Gloucester City 0, King's Lynn 1.

On 50 minutes Michael Frew tried an audacious lob from almost 50 yards as he spotted home keeper Johnston. However the goalkeeper recovered well to clutch the effort from just under the bar. For Lynn, defender Blois made a good interception to stop a home attack as the tigers pressed for an equaliser. On the hour mark a snap shot from 25 yards by Gloucester's Webb caught out Crichton in the Lynn goal but the ball crashed against the bar and was cleared for a corner from which Warren blocked the shot at goal by Johnston. Lynn then brought on Jack Defty for Frew. On 73 minutes Andrew Fisk put the Linnets 2 up after they had produced a flowing move down their right flank involving West, Melton, Camm and FISK who scored with a rising drive from 20 yards which beat Johnston all ends up. Lynn had certainly deserved their second goal A third almost came about just three minutes later as Camm found Melton whose knock-down to Jack Defty saw the big man beat his defender but leaning back on the shot fired over the bar. Lynn now brought on Knotman for Toms as Gloucester had a larger share of the second half possession but without posing any serious threat to the Lynn goal. Jack Defty broke for Lynn passing to Knotman whose low drive was palmed round the post by goalkeeper Johnston. Gloucester had two late attempts for a consolation goal but Crichton saved well with his legs and Fisk cleared the rebound.

Lynns' defence had coped well throughout the game with everything Gloucester could throw at them and were well worth their clean sheet. The three deserved points kept the promotion drive on course as they looked forward to Monday's trip to Northwood leaving manager Keith Webb well pleased with the result after the game.

Final score: Gloucester 0, King's Lynn 2.

Most Read

Gloucester City - Johnston, Reide, Stavehouse, Mustoe, Thompson, Tomkins, Sykes, Webb, Cox, Welsh, Wilkinson. Subs: Harris, Wilson, Tustain, Noakes, Matthews.

King's Lynn - Crichton, West, Blois, Warren, Crane, Fisk, Melton, Camm, Nolan, Frew, Toms. Subs: Jack Defty, Notman, Cooper, O'Halloran, McAnally.

Referee Mr M Amphlett.

Attendance 284.