Gilman double saves Wroxham’s blushes

Wroxham needed extra-time to overcome the brave challenge of Ridgeons Division One side Whitton United in the FA Vase, first round clash at Trafford Park.

Wroxham needed extra-time to overcome the brave challenge of Ridgeons Division One side Whitton United in the FA Vase, first round clash at Trafford Park.

After a goalless 90 minutes, the visitors took the lead in the first period of extra time as Camillo Douglas raced through to fire past Yachtsmen keeper Robert Woodcock.

But almost straight from the kick-off, Wroxham drew level as Lee Gilman netted from 12 yards. The winner arrived with 110 minutes on the clock, as Damian Hilton's shot was blocked, but the ball came back to Gilman and he made no mistake to send Wroxham through.

There was no such joy for Dereham, as they crashed out 2-1 to Ridgeons Premier rivals Soham Town at Aldiss Park.

You may also want to watch:

Soham took the lead through Andy Furnell on 11 minutes and doubled their advantage six minutes before half-time, as Charles Libam rounded defender Danny Cullington and scored.

Libam also hit the post in the second half and although Dereham pulled one back in the final minute when Ollie Willis latched on to debutant Osiris Gomes' flick on and fired home, it was too late for the home side to force extra- time.

Most Read

Lowestoft, fresh from last week's 5-2 win over Felixstowe & Walton United, kept up their goalscoring form with a 6-0 demolition of Ipswich Wanderers in the Ridgeons League, Premier Division.

Reece Hunn started the ball rolling on nine minutes and four minutes later he turned provider, setting up Ali McKenna to score.

Richard Woodrow made it three from the penalty spot after McKenna was fouled and McKenna then added a fourth with a solo effort on 30 minutes.

The game was over as a contest before half-time, as centre back Darren Cockrill made it 5-0, slotting home after Carl Poppy's free kick was parried. Gary McGee headed the sixth from a corner six minutes after the break to complete the rout.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Norwich United slipped to a 4-1 defeat at Felixstowe & Walton, while Swaffham enjoyed a 3-1 win at third-placed Mildenhall Town.

Wisbech picked up an important 1-0 win at Histon Reserves.

Fakenham's struggles continued as they were dumped out of the Norfolk Senior Cup by Anglian Combination Division One high-fliers Loddon.

Dave Matthews gave Loddon a first half lead, before Kieran Bacon equalised for the Ghosts on 58 minutes.

But Loddon scored three times in the last 12 minutes, through Hadleigh Wright, Robert Craig and Aaron Jones to send the seven-times winners of the competition tumbling out.

There was another triumph for a Combination Division One side over Ridgeons First Division opposition as St Andrews beat Great Yarmouth Town


Alex Ingram put St Andrews ahead and Pilgrim made it 2-0 before half-time.

Pilgrim added another in the 52nd minute, before Yarmouth netted their first goal in five games when substitute Short scored in the 90th minute.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus