Full steam ahead for Ryman Division One North Wroxham
Wroxham tightened their grip on the Ryman North play-off positions with a convincing away win, writes Thomas Crabb.
It was the Yachtsmen's eighth league win in their last nine games and took their goals tally to 58 for the season, giving them a solid five-point cushion over sixth-placed AFC Sudbury.
Stewart Larter made two changes to the side that crushed Burnham Ramblers 8-0 a week earlier, with Danny Rust and Jack Garrod replacing Nathan Stone and Ben Price.
Wroxham started with a confidence that reflected their elevated position and were ahead on 11 minutes. Christy Finch found space from 18 yards to fire in an effort that was parried by Rhys Madden, with Remy Gordon reacting quickest to slide home the rebound.
Five minutes later it was 2-0 and Gordon again was in the thick of it, the in-form winger striking an effort across goal that was superbly diverted in by the returning Garrod at the back post.
You may also want to watch:
The Yachtsmen looked menacing every time they attacked, whilst their play-off hopeful opponents were creating in fits and starts without too much in the way of threat. A quick break on the stroke of half-time produced their best moment of an otherwise limp first-half display, Kieran Bishop forcing Elliot Pride into a superb save down to his left.
The second half started in a much cagier manner, and Wroxham got their third on 69 minutes. The brilliant Garrod beat Madden to the ball to chip it over the keeper's head, before cutting inside and smashing it home past two defenders on the line.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water