Frustration for Yarmouth, record for Stowmarket

In the Ridgeons Premier Division, Yarmouth supporters were hoping for a first home league win with the visit of second-bottom Histon Reserves to the Wellesley – but things did not turn out well for the Bloaters.

Histon took a two-goal lead before half time through strikes from L Taaffe and S Unwin. The first was gifted the visitors by a hesitant defence and the second came from a contentious penalty award just on half-time.

Scott Woodcock went on for the second half and brought some life to Yarmouth's game but all they had to show for it was a superb 30-yard free-kick from substitute Joe Bell in the fifth minute of added time which proved too little, too late.

Not the ideal warm-up for tomorrow's Norfolk Senior Cup tie with King's Lynn Town (Wellesley, 7.45pm).

Kirkley & Pakefield visited Brantham but came back empty handed after a 2-1 defeat. A goal by L Harvey-Cooper was outweighed by Brantham's double from M Low and R Welton.

Ely hosted Debenham LC, the sides sharing six goals with Andy Pettit getting a brace and James Wallis also scoring for the home side while J Cole hit a hat-trick for the visitors.

Mildenhall were 1-0 winners over visiting Wivenhoe with M Youngs the marksman, while Wisbech battled to a goal-less draw at Woodbridge.

Most Read

In other games, CRC went nap against hosts FC Clacton with no reply, Hadleigh United entertained Felixstowe & Walton and were 4-1 winners and Haverhill Rovers cantered to a 3-0 win over visiting Newmarket Town.

Meanwhile, Stowmarket Town moved to the top of the Division One with a 13-0 win at Cornard United 13-0 – the biggest away win in Eastern Counties League history.

Stowmarket were 8-0 up at half-time and added five more in the second half to spectacularly take advantage of previous leaders Cambridge University Press being held 1-1 at Ipswich Wanderers.

This result saw the Ipswich side keep their unbeaten home record while their visitors maintained their unbeaten away record.

Swaffham Town completed a league double over visitors Team Bury in an exciting return to football this weekend with a 3-2 win.

Early pressure from the off saw promising breaks but no finish.

Bury nearly spoilt the atmosphere in the 10th minute, but keeper Dean Mayes made an important stop, as he has done so often this season.

Fifteen minutes in, Joe Jackson broke through the Bury line, beating two and then shooting clinically across the keeper's right-hand side to score. He nearly made it two five minutes later, a free-kick narrowly over the crossbar.

Will O'Brien further set Jackson running in the 31st minute, a precision through-ball, the pace just defeating the legs of Jackson.

Further attempts, a shot by Nathan Cross and a header from Aaron Clifford came close but failed to reach target.

Against the run of play, the visitors levelled the score, a header from a rebounded free-kick.

The second half saw early Swaffham efforts by O'Brien and David Spalding needing intervention by the Bury keeper.

The Pedlars' second came from a Jack Redhead free-kick, 25 yards out, from the left-hand side, Redhead's first for the Town on his first start. It was nearly a third in the 59th minute, with a tremendous volley, courageously blocked by the head of the Bury right-back.

Joe Jackson forced a good save by the Bury keeper in the 70th minute but was further rewarded nine minutes later, Richard Cornwall supplying the through-ball, Jackson rounding the keeper to slot home.

Scott Voutt came close bringing the best save from the Bury keeper, a thunderbolt from his left foot.

A lapse in the tight defending, allowed Bury a consolation second in the 89th minute, ensuring a thrilling close to the game, Bury seeing the possibility of a point.

Downham Town were defeated 3-0 at Halstead Town but March Town United returned from Saffron Walden with all three points after a 3-2 win.

Whitton United hit seven goals with just one in reply by visitors Long Melford.