Friendly: King’s Lynn Town 1, Wroxham 1

The spoils were shared as Step Four new boys King's Lynn Town and Wroxham drew their pre-season friendly at The Walks today.

Lynn took the lead through Danny Beaumont's fortuitous goal but Gavin Lemmon equalised with an outstanding free-kick in a decent first half.

However, the second period was considerably less exciting with both sides failing to register a decent attempt on goal.

Reigning Eastern Counties Premier Division champions Wroxham arrived at The Walks having been unbeaten in their four pre-season games to date.

But the Linnets were always likely to offer their sternest test yet - especially after bouncing back from last weekend's 4-1 home defeat to Wisbech Town by beating Dereham Town 2-0 in convincing fashion on Tuesday.

You may also want to watch:

The game exploded into action in the first minute when Dan Quigley collided with Lemmon during an aerial challenge. A groggy Lemmon left the field for treatment to what appeared to be a nasty facial injury.

He soon returned as the full-blooded challenges continued and created the first chance when his clever lofted through-ball found Claudio Longlois. The Yachtsmen front man pulled his effort just wide.

Most Read

That chance sparked Gary Setchell's side into life with Steve Spriggs' deflected effort drifting just wide. However, minutes later the Linnets luck was in.

Ryan Fryatt's volley smashed into Beaumont's chest and the ball bobbled over the line to put the hosts ahead. Fryatt quickly had a goal disallowed for offside, in similar circumstances, when he deflected Spriggs effort over the line, to put Lynn ahead.

The Linnets domination, of possession at least, was quickly cancelled out in the 22nd minute when Lemmon curled home a fine free kick from 25 yards to pull the sides level.

And that goal seemed to reinvigorate David Batch's visitors who went close through first Langlois and secondly Matt Blake. However, Alex Street made two quick saves in fine fashion as he got up to prevent Blake seconds after saving Langlois' fine strike.

The rest of the half remained fairly even with Lynn having more possession but with an organised and hard-working Wroxham outfit proving hard to break down. Jamie Thurlbourne went closest but his in-swinging free-kick was tipped over the bar by Andy Plummer.

A series of substitutions slowed the pace at the start of the second half with little separating the two sides. The Yachtsmen appealed for a penalty when Fryatt appeared to push an opposing striker in the box.

But both defences remained on top with literally no chance of note being created during a dull, but hard-working, second period. Thurlbourne pulled a late free-kick just wide.

• King's Lynn: Street, Watson, Gulliver, Fryatt, Yong, Spriggs, Bunting, Quigley, Thurlbourne, Beaumont, Forshaw

• Subs used: Buhlemann, Turner, McLeish, Johnson

• Goal: Beaumont (12)

• Wroxham: Plummer, Halliday, McNeil, Hipperson, Turner, White, Daniels, Eastaugh, Lemmon, Langlois, Blake

• Subs used: Hinton, Gordon, D'Jolot, Speller, Jones

• Goal: Lemmon (22)

• Attendance: 309

• Referee: A. Wilson

• For pictures and more reaction from today's game see Monday's paper.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter