Former King’s Lynn and Norwich City striker Dom Dwyer close to Charlton Athletic loan during MLS close season
- Credit: Archant
Striker Dom Dwyer has moved one step closer to his dream of playing professional football in England.
The one-time Norwich City Academy player has been training with Charlton in the hope of securing a loan move during Major League Soccer's close season in America. However, his plans have remained on hold this month while the Addicks have been the subject of a £20m takeover bid by Belgian businessman Roland Duchatelet.
The 67-year-old's company Staprix NV acquired 100pc of the Championship outfit's shares this week after the final legal formalities were completed, giving the green light for a new era at The Valley – with Dwyer hoping to be a part of it.
Boss Chris Powell wasted no time in immediately adding a new face to his squad by landing Standard Liege midfielder Astrit Ajdarevi for a six-month period. Now Dwyer, who spent his teenage years living in King's Lynn, confirmed he is also hoping to complete a deal. Other outfits are rumoured to be keen on bringing the Sporting Kansas City star across the Atlantic for the next couple of months, but the 23-year-old, who admitted he has already enjoyed his time with Athletic, has his heart set on the London team.
Dwyer is thought to have impressed Powell this winter after becoming a huge hit Stateside since taking up a soccer scholarship at Texas' Tyler Junior College in 2009. His profile reached new levels last year when he capped a memorable season by lifting the MLS Cup – a competition won by global icon and fellow countryman David Beckham – with KC in December.
You may also want to watch:
That success came off the back of the hitman's loan spell at third tier Orlando City where he bagged 15 goals in 13 games to help his temporary club win the USL Pro championship.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach