Footballing girls aiming for the top prize
Girls at a Dereham high school are showing the boys just how it should be done - on the football pitch.
The U15 team at Northgate High has reached the sixth round of the English Schools FA Cup, putting them in the last 16 of more than 400 schools that entered the competition.
In their last round they thrashed Essex champions Shenfield High 6-0 and are now eagerly anticipating their next challenge, Frances Bardsley School from Havering in London on Wednesday who boast none other than the current U15 England captain in their squad.
Northgate's captain Amber Cantwell, 14, who plays for Norwich City's centre of excellence, said they were confident they would win.
'We work really hard and are all good friends which I think helps us because we look after each other and there are no arguments on the pitch,' she said. 'I am confident we can get through to the next round, and I think we have a good chance of getting to the final.'
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Kit Circuit who has been coaching the team said all the girls were extremely talented and a squad like this only came round once in a blue moon.
'We have already gone three rounds better than ever in the history of the school,' he said. 'They really are the creme-de-la-creme but they play as hard as the men. I would like to think they could go all the way. The head of PE at the Essex school said they were the best team he had ever seen because they play so well together. We are just a normal high school but they work so hard and are just smashing every team in sight.'
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 5 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'