Thurlow Nunn and Anglian Combination leagues abandon weekend’s fixtures
- Credit: Archant
Local football is set to be hit hard by the current bad weather.
The Thurlow Nunn and Anglian Combination leagues both confirmed yesterday they had scrapped their entire weekend programme because of the snow and ice.
Easton's home game with Martham on the 3G pitch almost beat the weather, but Easton College are concerned about the approach to the pitch and decided to call the game off.
'Normally we try and leave it to Friday and let the clubs make the decision but this situation is not likely to change,' said league secretary Chris McCullough.
'I can't remember anything like this before so we think for the sake of everyone involved it is best just to postpone. It helps people who want to make alternative plans.'
You may also want to watch:
Shortly after the league's confirmation early yesterday, the Thurlow Nunn League announced all its game had gone.
'In view of the current weather conditions and forecast the league has postponed all matches this coming Friday evening and Saturday afternoon,' said a message on its website.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
King's Lynn Town are due to host Basingstoke in a Southern League encounter at The Walks and are urging supporters to keep abreast of local and social media.
Linnets media officer Mark Hearle said: 'With the uncertainty over the weather forecast for the end of the week and the current weather situation I would suggest to all supporters to keep an eye and an ear across all of our media outlets between now and Saturday as they will bring you the latest information as to regards of possible pitch inspections etc.
'The club has to follow Southern League protocol on these matters as there are other factors that have to be considered and taken into account in these situations.'
Lowestoft Town, whose Bostik Premier Division game at Folkestone Invicta was postponed in midweek, are due to host Wingate & Finchley this weekend but an inspection is almost inevitable.
The same applies to Bostik North pair Norwich United and Dereham Town. The Planters are scheduled to make the trip to Canvey Island while Dereham are at home to Maldon & Tiptree.
All Norwich Sunday League games have also been postponed.