Far east benefits from change in conditions
SEA FISHING: Things were given a much-needed stir-up in the east of the region, if only for a few hours over the weekend – although unfortunately it was too much in places with the sea over the wall at Walcott.
It didn't stop Chris Bulch managing a couple of codling from Cromer Pier whilst the east Norfolk beaches were unfishable.
I think there was a 4lb 8oz bass the day before too, showing what a bit of north west can do for the sport in the east of the patch.
Up the coast on the shingle and there have been quite a few dabs showing with the whiting, some nice sized ones too. But again it's the whiting that are the mainstay of catches throughout the region. There are fish to catch off most of our beaches, but not the codling we'd hope for, though there's still time for them to show.
I've heard reports of a 14lb cod from Yarmouth way – it wouldn't surprise me at all; there's usually one or two good fish each year from the stretch between North beach and Hopton. Aside from the unconfirmed report, all I have heard of is whiting and the occasional 1�lb codling.
You may also want to watch:
Corton through to Ness point has seen a few amongst the snags, whilst Pakefield Bay and the south pier have been relatively quiet; Kessingland too has seen only whiting and flats. Boats out of Lowestoft have been struggling to find any numbers of fish, most resorting to inshore with the whiting shoals and hoping to pick one or two codling up with them.
It's the same with the kayakers; the guys are catching a lot of whiting and flats, but not the codling they'd hope the extra distance offshore would give them. Go to www.east-anglia-sea-angling.co.uk.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 10 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall