Norwich CBS upset Yaxley to go through to fourth round of FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Norwich CBS are through to the last 32 of the FA Vase after an impressive win in the third round over Yaxley.
The Norwich side will find out who they will face in the fourth round draw, which takes place later today, after a superb win over their United Counties League Premier opponents.
The Vase seems to have brought the best out of Norwich CBS this season and they were straight on the front foot in the first half with Matthew Doyle sliding home to give the Thurlow Nunn Division One side the lead.
It got better for the visitors when a long ball over the top was latched on to by James Page, who finished with aplomb.
The tie looked to be over before half-time when some lovely build-up play between Paul Cook and Dean Mortimer set up Doyle for his second of the afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Yaxley came out fighting in the second half and when they scored two quick goals the nerves of the CBS management were starting to fray. However, their players kept them composure to seal a famous victory.
Gorleston bowed out of the competition after a 4-2 loss at home to Leighton Town.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 5 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 6 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 7 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 8 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
- 9 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 10 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
The Greens gave themselves a mountain to climb when they let their visitors breeze into a two-goal lead at the break, courtesy of goals from Tom Silford and Lewis McBride. However, Stewart Larter's men hit back in the second period and pulled level thanks to goals from Joel Watts and Peter Lambert. However, Leighton's quality told in the latter stages with both Silford and McBride both scoring again to confirm their name in the hat for the next round.
In the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division Thetford were 9-0 winners at Hadleigh thanks to goals from Max Melanson (3), Robbie Priddle (2), Andrew Wood (2), Ben Anderson and an own goal.
Connor Ingram and Shaun Taylor were on target in Wroxham's 2-0 win at Ipswich Wanderers and Kirkley & Pakefield won 2-1 at Stowmarket through goals from Liam Harvey-Cooper and Lewis Hammond.
Great Yarmouth Town lost 2-1 at home to Haverhill Rovers despite Mitch Forbes' strike whilst Fakenham went down to a 2-0 loss at Stanway Rovers.
In the First Division a brace from Deivydas Andriuskevicius gave Diss Town a 2-1 win over King's Lynn Town whilst Karl Tansley's goal for Downham saw off Framlingham Town.
Alex Vincent (2), Matthew Blackford (2), Nick Castellan and Daniel Tindall were on target in Swaffham Town's 6-1 in over Wisbech St Mary.