FA Vase: Dunston UTS 3, Wisbech Town 1

An horrendous end to the first half put paid to any hopes Wisbech Town harboured of FA Vase glory as they bowed out of the competition against Dunston UTS on Saturday.

Steve Appleby's men had looked the brighter side in the early stages in this fourth round replay but two quickfire strikes from the home side left them with a mountain to climb and, when Anthony Reeve was sent off in the 37th minute, the writing was on the wall for the Fenmen.

Wisbech showed good character to make a game of it in the second period but Andrew Bulford made it 3-0 early in the second period. Chris Bacon reduced the arrears with a fine free-kick but Wisbech were left to rue not getting the job done at home when the sides drew 2-2.

Bacon almost gave Wisbech a dream start early on but a great block denied the striker to keep it all square. Bulford then had an effort ruled out for offside for the hosts in a frenetic opening spell shortly before Scott Johnson fired just wide.

Matthew Lunn was next to go close for the Fenmen but midway through the first half the lively Bulford escaped down the left channel before playing a lovely ball across the penalty area for Stephen Goddard to ram home.

The confidence Wisbech had showed seemed to evaporate and Ryan Rayner was forced into a good save to deny Bulford but the Dunston striker would not be denied.

Stephen Shaw played in Goddard and, as he was tackled in the box, the ball broke for Bulford, who left Rayner helpless with a cool finish.

Most Read

It got worse for Wisbech eight minutes before half-time when Reeve was shown a straight red card for bringing down Goddard, who was through on goal. Any hope of a miraculous comeback was extinguished early in the second half when Bulford grabbed his second but Bacon's exquisite free-kick gave the travelling supporters something to smile about on the way home.

• Dunston UTS: Connell, Cattanach, Galbraith, Robson, Swailes, Herron, Goddard (Preen), Shaw, Dixon, Bulford (Craggs), McAndrew.

• Wisbech Town: Rayner, Spafford, Johnson (Thompson), Davey (Murphy), Reeve, Fairweather, Reed, Reid, Bacon, Millson (Gale), Lunn.

• Referee: Mr M Salisbury

• Attendance: 381