FA Vase: Ascot United 3 Norwich United 0
- Credit: Seb Daly/Focus Images Limited
Norwich United's FA Vase run has been brought to an end in the fifth round by a 3-0 defeat at Ascot United.
The Berkshire side scored all three of their goals in the first half and then defended well to thwart any possible comeback from the Planters.
Norwich made the long trip knowing that a win would leave them three games from Wembley but they could not extend their best-ever run in the competition.
The Yellamen took the lead in just the eighth minute when forward pairing Jon Bennett and Damien Markman combined, with the latter heading home from his strike-partner's precise cross from the right.
Adam Hipperson forced a good save with a powerful drive as Norwich rallied in a boisterous first half but the hosts doubled their lead in the 31st minute.
You may also want to watch:
Daryl McLean's second corner in quick succession was cleared to the edge of the box, where midfielder Lee Boon was waiting to smash home the loose ball, into the bottom-left corner of the net.
Then just a minute later the game was made safe by Ascot, with their strikers combining again, Bennett playing in Markman, who fired a powerful shot into the top-left corner.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Matty Daniels saw one header cleared off the line in the second half but the Planters never really built a head of steam, in front of a crowd of 286 spectators.