FA Trophy: Wroxham 1, Canvey Island 2

Wroxham's first foray into the FA Trophy ended last night when Canvey Island struck a spectacular winner, five minutes from the end of extra time.

The Yachtsmen had returned from Essex on Saturday with an impressive goalless draw away to the Ryman League Premier Division outfit who are previous winners of the competition.

But even though they had home advantage they knew it was still going to be tough and so it proved.

Canvey Island were good value for their interval lead having broken the deadlock in the tie with a walk-in goal after 34 minutes by Danny Heale.

The Yachtsmen, however, lifted their game in the second half and pulled level with 15 minutes to go from a direct free-kick by Remi Gordon. Their hopes took a knock, however, when they were reduced to ten men after Gavin Lemmon was given a second yellow card before the end of normal time.

You may also want to watch:

But after goalkeeper Michael Hilton had made two brilliant stops in the first half of extra time there still seemed a good chance that they might go to penalties at least when Ashley Miller scored Canvey's winner from a 25-yard free-kick.

� Lowestoft Town spluttered into the second round of the Suffolk Premier Cup last night after beating Brantham Athletic 3-2.

Most Read

A dominant first half display did the damage for the holders in the end as a Nathan Stone brace and Robert Eagle curler gave the a Blues a 3-0 lead to take into the break. However, Brantham were allowed to come back into the contest in the second half when Lee Grimwood pounced on Blake Saker's poor backpass. Josh Mayhew ensured a nervy finish when he sidefooted home from a corner but the Blues held on.

Any notion Lowestoft would take the competition lightly was dispelled at the sight of the team sheet with the likes of Scott Mitchell, Lee Smith and Dan Gleeson all included in the starting XI. But it was Stone who made the biggest impression in the first period. The game was only three minutes old when Joe Francis burst down the left flank before crossing for Stone at the back post with the former Needham Market forward bundling the ball home. Lowestoft doubled their advantage in the 17th minute thanks to an excellent strike from the classy Eagle.

Thurlow Nunn Premier Division side Brantham looked out of their depth and it came as no surprise when Lowestoft effectively put the tie out of their reach in the 37th minute thanks to Stone's second.

Brantham managed to pull one back at the start of the second half after Blake Saker's poor backpass was cut out by Grimwood, who rounded Jake Jessup before tapping home.

Lowestoft took their foot off the pedal in the second half, failing to hit the heights of their first half display. Mayhew ensured a tense finish when he drilled home after Sean Gunn's corner had been allowed to roll all the way through the penalty area.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter