FA Trophy preliminary round: Burgess Hill Town 1, Wroxham 1
Wroxham were denied victory in their FA Trophy preliminary round tie when Burgess Hill grabbed a dramatic equaliser deep into injury time.
Aaron Sanders thought he had sealed the win for the Yachtsmen when he put them 1-0 up with seven minutes of normal time left, but an injury to Paul Cook meant that 11 added minutes were played at the end of the game. And Burgess Hill made the most of the additional time, Spencer Slaughter rising highest in the 98th minute to send a powerful header past Luis Tibbles in goal to take it to a replay.
It was the Yachtsmen who made the brighter start, with Ross Durrant and Remy Gordon forcing Hill goalkeeper Alan Mansfield into two good saves in the first five minutes.
Cook's 25th-minute effort was well blocked just inside the box for the Yachtsmen's best attempt, while Hill were restricted to speculative long shots by some good defensive organisation by the Wroxham back four.
The home side came out the stronger at the start of the second half, with Danny Curd wasting two good opportunities to give them the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Wroxham were still playing the ball about well and creating chances of their own, with a Stephen Drake shot being well saved by Mansfield after some great build-up play by Sam Harty and Cook. Matt Halliday then put a 60th-minute header wide from a Gordon corner, before Hill missed the best chance of the game three minutes later.
Aaron Sanders then replaced Fernando Vide for The Yachtsmen, and it wasn't long before he made his mark with his first senior goal for Wroxham. Gordon picked the ball up on the left in the 83rd minute, beating his man to deliver a fiendish delivery for the young winger to convert on the half volley from just inside the area.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Cook then went down after a nasty clash of heads with Neil Watts, with the striker being taken off after some lengthy treatment in what would prove to be a pivotal stoppage.
Hill hit the bar and Durrant missed a golden opportunity from six yards to seal the win in a frantic injury time exchange, before Slaughter's header in the 98th minute shared the spoils in a pulsating cup tie. Hill travel to Trafford Park on Tuesday night for the replay.
Wroxham: Tibbles, Groves, Halliday, Marsden, Pelka, Harty, Gordon, Vide, Cook, Durrant, Drake. Subs: King, Sanha, Alves, Sanders.
Burgess Hill: Mansfield, Watts, Kay, Budd, Fisk, Pointing, Kirkwood, Slaughter, Curd, Harding, Gayler. Subs: Armstrong, Luck, Harding, Miller