FA Cup: Wroxham 0, Brentwood 5
Wroxham suffered FA Cup embarrassment at Trafford Park on Saturday after being thoroughly outclassed by an impressive Brentwood side.
The Yachtsmen came up well short in the first qualifying round against the fellow Ryman League Division One North side and never looked capable of challenging the visitors, who hit the front through Martin Stokes' close range effort in the 18th minute.
Darren Blewitt soon doubled Brentwood's lead with a fine header and the tie was effectively over before the break thanks to Steve Butterworth's cool finish.
Things didn't improve in the second half for David Batch's men as goals from Abs Thompson and substitute Neil Cousins completed the rout.
After a very scrappy opening it was Brentwood who started to settle and Alex Read almost opened the scoring after 15 minutes but Ross Hipperson deflected his effort from eight yards out just wide.
You may also want to watch:
From the resulting corner Michael Hilton came out to claim but could only fumble into the path of Stokes, who somehow lifted the ball over the bar from inside the six-yard area.
Wroxham failed to heed the warning from set-pieces though and in the 18th minute the visitors deservedly took the lead. Blewitt met Gregg Cohen's corner in the six yard area but his glancing header came back off the post only for Stokes to slam the ball home from close range.
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 3 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 4 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 5 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 6 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 7 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 8 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 9 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 10 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
Brentwood should have doubled their lead soon after when Abs Thompson's slide-rule pass played in Read but Hilton produced an excellent save to deny the striker.
Wroxham suffered a blow in the 34th minute when Mat Daniels was forced off through injury to be replaced by Jamie Speller.
The pattern of the game didn't alter though and after 38 minutes Brentwood got their second of the afternoon when, after failing to clear their lines from a corner, Butterworth found space wide and whipped in a cross for Blewitt to head home.
Wroxham had offered very little going forward in the first half with Matt Blake and Ben Thompson having to feed off scraps while Brentwood looked a threat every time they went forward.
Just before half-time it was effectively game over. Hipperson failed to cut out Ryan Doyle's centre and Butterworth almost embarrassingly prodded the ball into the net from close range.
Andy Eastaugh's substitution at half-time for Rio Starkings saw Wroxham push Matt Halliday into central midfield but it had little effect in stemming the flow and Brentwood made it 4-0 in the 56th minute. Alex Read got in behind the Wroxham back four and when he got to the by line he pulled the ball back for Abs Thompson to rifle home through the legs of Hilton.
Gavin Lemmon had a long range free-kick well saved by Elliot Justham but this was as good as it got for the home side and in the 71st minute it got even worse when substitute Neil Cousins got in on the scoring with a good finish.
Abs Thompson should have got his second when he was left unmarked from a corner but he headed over the bar from three yards out.
- Wroxham (4-4-2): Hilton, Self, Halliday, Hipperson, Turner, White, Eastaugh (Starkings 46), Lemmon, Daniels (Speller 32), Blake (Cook 60), Thompson. Subs not used: Gordon, McNeil, Carus.
- Brentwood (4-4-2): Justham, Doyle, Stokes, Blewitt, Seymour, Thompson, Dafter, Robson (Blackburn 73), Cohen, Butterworth (Cousins 64), Read (Stanley 58). Subs not used: Witherspoon, Cross, Rees.