FA Cup five for Linnets

FA Cup: Stourbridge 0, King's Lynn 5: Lynn were set to play up the steep slope on the quaintly three-sided Amblecote ground in which in former days used to host county cricket for Worcestershire.

FA Cup: Stourbridge 0, King's Lynn 5

Lynn were set to play up the steep slope on the quaintly three-sided Amblecote ground in which in former days used to host county cricket for Worcestershire.

Lynn forced an early corner which was easily cleared. In the fifth minute Mark Camm found Michael Frew who forced his way past two defenders and fired in a low cross but unfortunately no Lynn player could get a decisive touch as the ball was scrambled clear. For Stourbridge a free-kick, taken by Slater, saw Bennet get in a header but Howie had an easy catch.

Mark Camm again found Frew who this time beat three defenders and fired in another low cross with again no one up to apply a final touch. A through-ball played out of defense by the home side saw Howie have to be quick off his line to snuff out potential danger. From a free-kick, taken by Francis for Lynn, Fleming's header was punched away by home keeper Solly.

You may also want to watch:

From a free-kick for the Glass Boys Charlie Defty was forced to concede a corner from which he had to give away a second. Howie tipped away the cross from which Broadhurst drifted an effort just wide. Stourbridge forced another corner when Rock put Camm under pressure but Charlie Defty cleared well for the Linnets.

On 22 minutes a quick throw-in played to West saw the Lynn captain's dropping centre land on top of the crossbar with a desperately scrambling Solly well-beaten. Nolan then found Frew whose strong cross was headed for a corner by Bennett which again came to nothing.

Most Read

When Bloomfield played a through-ball to Nolan he was just beaten to the ball by Solly with neither Frew or Nolan able to find the empty net from the breaking ball. Stourbridge's Collins was then spoken to by the referee after a fierce challenge. From the free kick Lynn forced two corners but again to no avail. For the Glass Boys Broadhurst shot high over from 20 yards. The fifth corner for the Linnets caused Solly a problem but once again no Lynn forward could capitalise.

In the 33rd minute Lynn took a deserved lead when a clearance in his own penalty area by Chapman found Bloomfield who carried the ball 40 yards. Bloomefield passed back to the on-rushing Chapman and the full-back beat Solly with a clinical finish from 18 yards for his first goal in Lynn colours.

Stourbridge forced a free-kick that Lynn had difficulty in clearing, the play ending with Bellingham, the Glass Boys top scorer, shooting just wide.

In the 43rd minute Lynn went two up when Bloomfield, having been fed by Frew, rounded the goalkeeper Solly and passed across the face of the goal for Nolan to have a simple tap in.

A skilful turn by Nolan enabled the centre forward to give Bloomfield a chance to run at the defence but Bennett made a good saving tackle.

A high bouncing ball deceived Charlie Defty allowing Rock a good run and cross but Fleming relieved the danger heading clear.

A great run by Francis saw the winger beat two defenders but Solly did well to deny him as he broke into the area.

Broomfield won a header finding Nolan who in turn found Francis but his weak effort on goal was blocked by Solly.

Fleming made a mazy run into the heart of the Stourbridge defence but was brought down and needed treatment.

A great break down the Lynn left flank saw Francis cross deep to the back post where Frew's diving header went fractionally wide.

Lynn were now creating a host of chances down either flank where Frew and Francis were beating their markers at will.

The next to try it was Frew with a great cross which Nolan headed just over. Francis was clattered by Bastable and needed lengthy treatment from Steph Jones. He was replaced by Greg Lake. From the free kick taken by Fleming his kick from 50 yards completely deceived Solly and landed in the back of the untenanted goal. This after 62 minutes. A further Lynn passing movement saw Frew cross the ball to Jack Defty who had just replaced Nolan who scored with aplomb from 12 yards. Lynn were now well on top and doing almost as they pleased. Frew was almost in again but was just nudged off the ball by Bastable as about to shoot. On 85 minutes a fine pass from Fisk split the defence to allow Frew to run and shoot where his goal-bound shot was finished off from point blank range by Lynn's third substitute John Turner who had replaced Nolan. Lynn had won a comprehensive victory and awaited with eager anticipation the draw for the third qualifying round which will take place on Monday.

Final score King's Lynn 5 Stourbridge 0.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus