FA Cup: Bugbrooke St Michaels 1, Dereham Town 4
Dereham continued their excellent early season form with a convincing win over Bugbrooke St Michaels to confirm their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.
With Adam Gusterson and Jay Eastoe-Smith unavailable, Gary Starling switched to centre back and Sam Willis filled the left back berth.
In the opening minute home keeper Steve Spruels did well to keep out Luke Tuttle's goal-bound header following Nicky Howell's deep cross.
However in the fourth minute he was powerless to prevent striker Tuttle's brilliant overhead volley from going in off the underside of the crossbar as Dereham hit the front.
Playing with confidence, the Magpies increased their lead in the 14th minute. Craig Bussens was fouled in an advanced position on the Bugbrooke left and from a well worked free-kick Sam Borrer attacked the near post and firmly headed Gary Starling's superb delivery home from 10 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Bugbrooke had a chance in the 28th minute when Andy Wilton was forced to tip Chris Griffin's header over the top from a Peter Smith free kick. Soon after the restart Hannant turned on the edge of the box and clipped the home crossbar with Spruels beaten.
Minutes later the home keeper made a great save to tip Borrer's fierce drive over the top.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
Following their intense pressure Hannant was upended in the box in th 53rd minute and Gary Starling made no mistake from the resultant spot kick to extend Dereham's lead.
Bugbrooke pulled one back when Andy Wilton upended Griffin, allowing Lance Allen to reduce the arrears. Substitute Scott Sutherland-Gray headed a Howell cross over when stretching at the far post before firing well off target after Tuttle had put him through.
But Dereham sealed victory in the 86th minute when Gary Starling delivered a corner to the far post where Sutherland-Gray headed the ball back towards Tuttle.
The striker waited for the ball to drop before beating Spruels with a superbly struck volley for his second memorable goal of the match.