Evo-Stik Division One South: Chasetown 0, King’s Lynn Town 1
Lynn strengthened their grip on second with a fantastic win in Staffordshire tonight.
A sensational Dan Jacob strike, his second goal in as many games for the Linnets, helped Gary Setchell's men stretch their unbeaten run to 13 games. And with Stamford, third, losing at Leek, Lynn have a six-point cushion over the Daniels, and a game in hand, as they continue to keep the pressure up on league leaders Coalville Town.
Both sides went into the game in outstanding form, especially the Linnets, who started like a train. The Norfolk high-fliers powered forward in the opening exchanges and took a stunning lead through their new winger.
Jacob cut in from the left and unleashed a vicious shot off his supposed weaker right foot into the top corner from 30 yards. His moment of brilliance set the standard for some delightful football which followed between two full-of-confidence outfits.
Lynn's Steve Spriggs roasted Matthew Jackson for pace but hit his shot straight at Ryan Price. At the other end, Paul Sullivan pulled an effort wide after he was found expertly by the impressive Simon Brown. Danny Bragoli forced the visitors' Danny Gay into a fine save with a 25-yard free-kick as the action hotted up.
Spriggs had a goal-bound effort deflected agonisingly wide before Brown forced Gay into another stop as the first 30 minutes continued to deliver breathless action.
As the half dragged on it was the visitors who looked more dangerous, especially on the break. And Shane Tolley and Spriggs, both on the stretch, spurned good chances to extend The Walks outfit's lead.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
The man in the middle soon brought an end to an exhilarating first half. However, the end-to-end action continued after the break, albeit at a slightly slower pace. Gay was alert again to deny Sullivan as he raced off his line to smother an opening for the Scholars.
And after being penned in towards the end of the match, he made two more stops to deny Andy Westwood and Nick Wellecomme to help his side record an outstanding victory.
Chasetown: Price, Farmer, Jackson, Slater, Tesfa Robinson, Teesdale, Brown (Westwood, 86), Bragoli , Wellecomme, Sullivan (Smith, 73), Gould (Theo Robinson, 66). Subs not used: Downes, Birt. Booked: Slater, Sullivan, Bragoli.
Lynn: Gay, Watson, Gulliver, Lee, Yong, Spriggs (Jepson, 86), Bunting, Quigley, Thomson (Beaumont, 78), Jacob, Tolley (Mulready, 89). Subs not used: Butt, Fryatt. Goal: Jacob (4). Booked: Yong, Quigley, Watson.
Referee: B. Rogers.