European bronze medal joy for Dereham high jump star Chris Baker
- Credit: PA
Dereham high jumper Chris Baker has won a bronze medal at the European Athletics Championships in Amsterdam.
The 25-year-old set a new outdoor personal best en route to a share of bronze, jumping 2.29 metres at the second attempt in last night's final, the same as achieved by Germany's Eike Onnen.
British team-mate Robbie Grabarz won silver after achieving 2.29m at the first attempt, with world champion Gianmarco Tamberi winning gold after beating 2.32m at his first attempt.
Both Baker and Grabarz attempted 2.32m but were unsuccessful with their three jumps.
The success for Baker, who now competes for Sale Harriers, comes hot on the heels of securing his Team GB place for the upcoming Rio Olympics.
The former Dereham Northgate High School pupil's PB jump ranks him joint 15th in the world outdoor rankings ahead of Rio.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 4 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 5 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 6 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 7 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 8 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 9 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed