European bronze medal joy for Dereham high jump star Chris Baker
- Credit: PA
Dereham high jumper Chris Baker has won a bronze medal at the European Athletics Championships in Amsterdam.
The 25-year-old set a new outdoor personal best en route to a share of bronze, jumping 2.29 metres at the second attempt in last night's final, the same as achieved by Germany's Eike Onnen.
British team-mate Robbie Grabarz won silver after achieving 2.29m at the first attempt, with world champion Gianmarco Tamberi winning gold after beating 2.32m at his first attempt.
Both Baker and Grabarz attempted 2.32m but were unsuccessful with their three jumps.
The success for Baker, who now competes for Sale Harriers, comes hot on the heels of securing his Team GB place for the upcoming Rio Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
The former Dereham Northgate High School pupil's PB jump ranks him joint 15th in the world outdoor rankings ahead of Rio.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 10 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid