England release Tom Youngs from Six Nations training to play for Leicester Tigers
- Credit: PA
Tom Youngs is poised to feature for Leicester Tigers at the weekend after being released from England's Six Nations training squad for the rest of the week.
England will retain 17 players – including Youngs' younger brother, scrum-half Ben – for the remainder of their training week at Pennyhill Park.
The starting XV from Saturday's 47-17 win over Italy at Twickenham, along with centre Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester) and winger Jack Nowell (Exeter), will train tomorrow and Thursday before the whole squad re-assembles on Monday.
In addition, Leicester star Manu Tuilagi and Joe Launchbury (Wasps) will be with the squad to continue their rehabilitation this week.
Youngs, who played junior rugby at North Walsham and Holt, could now press his claims at hooker by featuring in Leicester's Aviva Premiership match at London Irish on Sunday – ahead of England's trip to Ireland on Sunday week.
You may also want to watch:
England head coach Stuart Lancaster said: 'We have reviewed the Italy match with the whole squad and, while we were pleased to score six tries and win by 30 points, we all know there is plenty to work on.
'We will release some players back to their clubs this evening as it will be a good opportunity for them to play for their clubs on a big Aviva Premiership weekend and before we get together ahead of the Ireland training week.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
'Mike Brown is in in the early days of the graduated return to play protocol and will not be training this week.
'Geoff Parling, Tom Wood and Courtney Lawes will be released back to their clubs for further assessment and treatment with a view to them resuming training with us next week.'