Norfolk bowling star Olly Stone named in England ODI squad for Sri Lanka
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk's Olly Stone has been called into the England one-day international squad for the first time for next month's tour of Sri Lanka.
The Warwickshire seamer - raised in Brundall – will replace Liam Plunkett in the 16-man squad for the five-match series as the Yorkshire fast bowler is getting married.
Stone, 24, who has struggled with injury problems in recent years, has impressed selectors with his consistent performances this season.
Often touching 90mph in bowling, former Thorpe St Andrew School pupil and Vauxhall Mallards player Stone has taken 34 wickets at a cost of 11 each as Warwickshire headed the second division.
Ahead of the current Specsavers County Championship match against Sussex in Hove, Stone had taken 55 wickets across all formats for the Bears this season, including 12 in the Royal London One-Day Cup at an average of 28.16.
You may also want to watch:
Stone has been on the selectors' radar for some time – he was called up for an England Lions fast bowling camp in the winter of 2015 but had to miss out with a stress fracture of his back.
'I played for the 19s and really enjoyed that, so I'm keen for some more international games,' he said at the time. 'They got in contact when my injury happened and said if we needed anything, whether it's video stuff or help with the rehab, they were there.
'They did keep a bit of contact, not really regular contact but enough to say hello and to keep my face in the picture.'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 5 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
Although Plunkett will miss the first three matches of the series, which starts on October 10 in Dambulla, he will be available again for the last two ODIs.
Yorkshire all-round David Willey was not considered for selection as he continues to recover from a back injury.
The England squad will depart for Sri Lanka on September 30 and their first warm-up game takes place in Colombo on October 5.
Squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) captain, Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Tom Curran (Surrey), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).