Edwards and Kelsey hold off challenge of veterans

Alan MallettSnowflakes end of season regatta was combined with an Open Enterprise Woodcock Salver meeting on Sunday, when 13 crews enjoyed a pleasant day and light if sometimes erratic southerly.Alan Mallett

Snowflakes end of season regatta was combined with an Open Enterprise Woodcock Salver meeting on Sunday, when 13 crews enjoyed a pleasant day and light if sometimes erratic southerly.

Among the Enterprises Kevin Edwards and Rory Kelsey just edged veterans Brian and Linda Cummings, well remembered in the Horning Enterprise Fleet of the fifties and sixties, for the Mill House Trophy and Opal Trophy and first blood in the Woodcock series.

Among the Yeomans, Peter Marriott and Bob McKean emerged top dogs taking the Regulars' Trophy with two wins and a third, while James Buntin and Robert Whitefoot took the Club trophy with a win and two seconds - the win, in the second race, being achieved at the death after a tense duel with James Dugdale and James Patience.

Frostbites wound up their "round the cans" series much as expected with Ian and Mike Tims winning the first race to take the Stewart and Patteson Trophy for the series.

Ian Tims then went on to win the handicap race with 13-year-old Mellie Tims, his niece, crewing, although second-placed Kate Mackley, with Robert George crewing did just about enough to keep her hold on the Figaro Cup for the series.

These two races were followed by the Ladies Challenge Trophy, with seven entrants. From the start Sue and David Grief fought it out with Mellie and Ian Tims, the rest being sufficiently adrift, and it was only decided on the penultimate mark when Mellie, after sailing a superb first ever race in a Norfolk, fouled another boat and paid the penalty, leaving Sue, one of the most improved helms this season, to win.

Most Read

The main point of interest occurred at the start of the first race when Ray Johnson found himself sailing five up. While the wind was reasonable this number, probably a record for a racing Norfolk, seemed excessive. Having finished third in the first race regular crew Wendy Bush persuaded one of the stowaways, all well nourished mice, to jump ship, but the other two mouseketeers stayed aboard to help her in the handicap race, the result of which prompted her to evict both before the Ladies Race, in which she finished third.

Elevn Solos boosted the entries on Rollesby, where the wind direction was such that one sided courses and crowded marks were the order of the day, or morning at any rate. Ian Ayres emerged as top dog, winning the first two races and only succumbing to Roger Wilson in the third, Wilson thereby completing his hat-trick after two wins in the multi-sails.

The most notable features of the Single Handers was the second race, when a massive shift let Laurence Milton gain a good lead in his Phantom, and even more to young Daniel Bull who followe3d him round the mark in second place in his Topper. Roger Wilson, crewed by Dennis Manning, dominated the morning multi - sail races, after which Manning, superfluous in the Solo, transferred his energies to Derek Page's Stratos and helped to a last race win and his own hat-trick of victories.

No doubt Page appreciated Manning's presence after wrestling single handed with two sails and a spinnaker in the morning!

The fine weather has brought Hickling out of hibernation, and 15 boats came to the line for their first event. Peter Dearnley and Di Holmes replicated their recent success at Rollesby by winning all three races, this time sailing their trusty old warhorse W8668 Eighth Wonder, back in harness after an extensive refit.

I remind you that Chris Wilson's funeral will take place at Yelverton Church tomorrow at 2.30pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter